Beginner Lens Choice

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

After peoples thoughts on which type of lenses to buy when I get a new lens. At the moment I have a Nikon 3200 which I am happy with at the moment (still finding my way round digital photography at the minute), but I intend to upgrade in the future to what I don't know yet. What I would like some advice on is would I be better buying the more expensive lenses that are designed for full frame cameras, cheaper non Nikon full frame lenses or Nikon DX lenses. With money not being the issue as much as it was years ago when I was using film I would rather pay more for the right lenses once even if they are a bit overkill for the camera I am using at the moment.

Hope that makes sense.

If you buy lenses second hand you'll generally get back most of what you paid if you come to sell - if that's the case then you could just whatever you want / need at the moment e.g. The very cheap, but very good Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX.

If you buy lenses second hand you'll generally get back most of what you paid if you come to sell - .

Agree with this.

Decide what you want a lens to do and then start looking at options. If you're OK with grey imports then look there also as you might get a new lens with 3 year warranty for around the same as used from a reputable source in UK. There's plenty of treads which cover grey import but bottom line is they are there and should be considered.

Buying FX lenses for DX cameras probably means the whole frame will be in the sweet spot but it only really matters if you're looking to use wide open lenses for the photography you are doing- if you're mainly landscapes at f8-f11 (other styles are available) then there's nothing wrong with DX lenses

You might also have to consider that the D3200 is a physically snall camera and might be imbalanced with a heavy FX lens.

I don't think there's a right or wrong to this but I think if you post what you want to photograph you'll probably get improved feedback and options

You'll find lots of people who tell you to buy lenses that'll still work when you upgrade to full frame.

IMO this is complete madness.

There's no guarantee you'll ever go full frame
The lenses become entirely different things on a full frame camera
The best lens for the job on your crop camera might not be full frame capable, why buy a lens that's a compromise now just in case it might be useful later.

Thanks for all the replies.
I assumed FX lenses were better all round so if I was to upgrade my camera but still stay with a crop sensor then I would not have replace a lens with another of the same size.
The lens I was thinking of getting was the Nikon 70-200 f4, there are cheaper options but I thought if I got this one then I am only buying the lens once.
The 3200 is a small camera and if I was going to stick with this camera then I would probably buy DX lenses for it.
Going full frame is a long way off and reading other posts on here I can't see a reason for going full frame being as this is only a hobby for me.

Thanks for all the replies.
I assumed FX lenses were better all round so if I was to upgrade my camera but still stay with a crop sensor then I would not have replace a lens with another of the same size.
The lens I was thinking of getting was the Nikon 70-200 f4, there are cheaper options but I thought if I got this one then I am only buying the lens once.
The 3200 is a small camera and if I was going to stick with this camera then I would probably buy DX lenses for it.
Going full frame is a long way off and reading other posts on here I can't see a reason for going full frame being as this is only a hobby for me.
That particular lens will be great, it'll not be so 'long' should you decide to go full frame.

However, the assumption that FF lenses are 'better' isn't a universal truth. Nikon build a 2.8 standard zoom for crop which is better than a cheap slow 24-xxx kit lens for full frame. And there 10-20(ish) 2.8 for crop is perfect for what it is, and is without equal in a similar focal length that'll also do full frame.

Thanks for all the advice.
I have decided to get the Nikon 70-200 f4 because it seems a good all round lens for I want, I did consider thef2.8 but the size/weight compared to the f4 made it less versatile.
Going to stick with the 18-55 kit lens for now.
As for Phill's suggestion of a 10-20 2.8 Sigma make a 10-20 f3.5 which gets good reviews so I might have a look at that.

alot of people from this forum recommended me the tamron 70-300 vc its being delivered tomorrow and i cant wait let me know how the 70-200 is for you

Back