Lens choice

Edit My Images
No
I have a Nikon D300 and would appreciate members views on the Nikon AF-S 105MM/2.8 VR MICRO. My interest is in plant portraiture (in the field) both close up and full plant image. Thanks.

Personally I would look beyond Mr Rockwells reviews and search for a few more..lol..The lens you mention is a fantastic piece of glass and I doubt you will be disappointed with it. Unless you really need the VR ther are cheaper alternatives out there namely the sigma 105mm and tamron 90mm..both produce superb results.

Somewhat frightened off by KRs remarks about the possibility of the plastic mount breaking off. Are plastic mounted lenses to be avoided?.

I've tested this on a tripod, with mirror lock up and cable release, it is a ver very sharp lens.

If you want to know how good a lens is, look at the graphs - what is the resolving power of the lens? Knwing a true Nikon macro it will be absolutely as good as it can get...but probably only around f8 onwards. There has to be some compromise in lens design - macro lenses will be biased towards being stopped down, not wide open.

I have a 55 f2.8 micro - it si oneof the sharpest lenses ever made, by anyone. Every lens maker comes out with a real beaut every now and then. The micro Nikkors are amongst them.

Back