Lens combo for 40D

Edit My Images
No
Getting a 40D and have £500ish to spend on glass. Really like the 24-105 but would then be limited to 1 lens. Other options are Tamron 17-50 2.8 + 55-250 + 50 1.4 or Tamron 17-50 2.8 + 70-300IS

Just can't decide :thinking: Like to shoot general out and about landscapes, portraits, family pics and pics of my kids both indoor and out

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The only advice I can give is take your time.
Don't try to buy all the lenses you think you will need right now ........ especially if you're on a budget.

The 24-105 is a great walk about lens.
I prefer the 17-40 for landscapes especially given the 1.6 crop of the 40D.
I don't do much in the way of portrait shots but use the 50 1.8 for family shots both indoor and out.
It's fast, sharp and good value for money.

i would prob suggest a canon or sigma 24-70 and see how you go, not overly wide or long, but at least your in the middle, and with the f2.8, low light indoors wont be much of a problem. i would then add a flashgun at the most. then see which end of the scale your using the most and buy to suit.

Hi
I went with 17-40L, 50 1.4 and 85 1.8

So far, I have not felt I needed longer, but the 70-200 f4 will be the next lens.....

I love the primes as there is no need for flash, great for parties and evening events.

Don't try to buy all the lenses you think you will need right now ........ especially if you're on a budget.
:agree:
The 24-105 is a great walk about lens.
I prefer the 17-40 for landscapes especially given the 1.6 crop of the 40D.

It can get expensive very quickly if you make the wrong choice.

The 17-85 EFS IS is a cheaper enough general purpose lens. Optics arnt great, but then its not L glass.

Buy a walk about lens first, for example the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8.

Then add the lenses you need, when you need them.
If you feel you want to get wider, get the Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22.
If you feel you want to zoom in, get the Canon 70-200 or similar.
If you want to take pictures of bugs, Sigma 105mm or the Tamron 90mm.

etc etc etc.

There is a lot to be gained by buying second hand lenses.... and when you decide it is not the right lens for you, you can sell it for about the same as you paid.

I have the 24-105 f4 IS L and it hardly leaves my camera (40D). It's such a very good, versatile lens fro all conditions. I've used it at studio portrait shoots, sports events, low light, just about everything to be honest :D

Hi,
If you decide to look for a second hand one as suggested...have a look at this page..
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk
I have sold a couple of lenses to him latelly and if you go to used equipment link in his page he always has lots of good staff.......
Good luck

Hi,
If you decide to look for a second hand one as suggested...have a look at this page..
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk
I have sold a couple of lenses to him latelly and if you go to used equipment link in his page he always has lots of good staff.......
Good luck

Thanks, just had a quick look at the site and you can buy new lenses cheaper than the 2nd hand ones :shrug: e.g. you can get a new 50 1.4 for £175 from kerso

Another vote for the Tamron 17-55 mentioned earlier in the thread, and I'd place it well in front of the Canon 17-85 IS myself.

Im intending to use the 70-200 F4 L lens with my new 40D.

Tamron 17-50 does look nice and well priced at just over £200 from one stop digital. If I got the Tamron would I need the 50 1.4 for indoor low light shooting?

Back