Lens confusion

Edit My Images
No
ive never seen a variable lens start @ f/1.4

MinoltaAF3580LensOneTwo.jpg

theres something after the 1.4 on the lens in the pic but it looks true, plus i googled it and got a few results

That's standard notation...

F1:4-5.6 is f/4-f/5.6 and is frequently written as F1.4-5.6

The bottom line is that it's an f/4-5.6 lens

Bob

So the sellers description is wrong?

Not really. It's described as an f4-5.6 lens and that's just what it is. :)

Not the greatest bit of kit in the world but if goes for anything like the amount it's at now, well worth it.

As Bob said......

That's standard notation...

F1:4-5.6 is f/4-f/5.6 and is frequently written as F1.4-5.6

The bottom line is that it's an f/4-5.6 lens

Bob

but yeah, I'd say it's a great £30 worth. (y)

Nope, it's described as a f1.4-5.6. Is it worth bidding for it if it stays under £30?

I think its easy to see, looking at the lens picture, that the seller has made a simple mistake in typing, and is not deliberately misleading. If its worth it to you and you can use it then yes, its worth bidding on at that kind of money, but its definately NOT an F1.4 anything.

removed after reading following posting from Bob. I tried to explain in a way the questioner asked .

Sorry

Realspeed

If you look closer you will see the ( : ) sign after the 1. Everything has to have a base number and a zoom lens it is 1, hence the ( : ) after it, but the lens starts at f4 and finishes at f5.6. So the lens in question has a range of f4 to f5.6 denoting it has a zoom ratio. Seeing a lens with just one number like f2.8 or f4 as examples shows they are fixed ( prime) lenses

Realspeed

You description is way off the mark and will only lead to confusion.....sorry.

Bob

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I knew that lenses are often written f1:4-5.6 instead of f1.4-5.6 and just wondered if it was a mistake? Just out of interest, what would you use this type of lens for?

Just out of interest, what would you use this type of lens for?

taking pictures, mostly.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

On your camera it's going to give you a standard to light telephoto range, be small and fairly light. Depending on your needs, it could be a very versatile little lens or one that's never quite long or wide enough. Horses for courses and all that.

Back