Lens Damage

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
If someone had dropped a camera and the metal mounting ring/fitting part broke off the lens, snapping the screws, would it be a simple case of removing the old broken screws and refitting the mount ring? Are these designed to snap off to save the glass?

TIA

the mount is designed to be the weak point, however i dont thinkits just a case of screwing it back on. the screws may have ruined the threads when they were yanked out.

best of looking for a proffesional fix, however that may not be economical depending on the lens.

Thanks for the reply, it 'looks' like all 4 screws have snapped, and it's a canon EF 17-40 F4L.
Would anyone know if there is enough space to retap the thread if the screws have pulled out?

Dropped and broken lens? Get it professionaly fixed and checked over - damage may be invisible.

Dropped and broken lens? Get it professionaly fixed and checked over - damage may be invisible.

The lens isn't mine yet, I'm hoping to pick it up cheap, but I'm wondering on the odds of it being completely screwed, or fixable.

Ah, I think I have seen the one your are talking about if it's on eBay. I've seen and heard of some lenses only being able to be used as a pretty expensive paperweight after dropping and damage like that. But others seem to have had 1 or 2 tha have been salvagable. As long as there is enough left to re-tap the screws like you say, and the glass hasn't been compromised in any major way then you might get away with it.

Always an element of risk when going for something like that though. If you do go for it I'd love to hear if you do get it sorted.

Tom N.

If you can afford to write off the cost of the lens and the cost of the inspection then give it a punt - if the lens is FUBAR then you'll have a collection of individual glass lenses and a tube with a pretty red ring round it.

I'm just guessing now but I would suspect that the seller has already sent the lens off for a quote for repair and has decided it's not worth it so is flogging it off for whatever they can get for it.

I'm just guessing now but I would suspect that the seller has already sent the lens off for a quote for repair and has decided it's not worth it so is flogging it off for whatever they can get for it.

If it's the one I've seen then he simply cant afford any kind of repair at all so is just trying to get as much as he can for it.

Tom N.

The chap that can not afford any kind of repair on ebay is selling a 24-70 f2.8L. But he doesn't have any good photos of the damaged end of the lens, and damaged the 40D at the same time. But then it's a £1000 lens currently at £56 with one day to go!

Well I didn't win the 17-40mm (misses will be pleased to hear), I got outbid in the last 4 seconds! Went for £161 if anyone is interested.

Back