Lens dilema

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Right I have a bit of a dilema so hopeing the Cafe can offer some advice...

At the moment I have the kit in my sig but I'm after a bit more reach at the long end. Basically at times I need a longer lens when I'm shooting wildlife, mainly birds. I'm also thinking more speed focusing would be nice for when I'm shooting touring car racing.

So what I was considering, is selling the 80-200 and 300 lenses and buying myself a 70-200 AFS and then some TC's to increase the focal length. I figure with a 2x TC I'll have a 140-400 5.6 lens and the 1.5 tc would give me a 100-300 f4 so I should get slightly more reach but retain the current focal lengths.

Is this a mad idea? Is there a better way? Funds aren't unlimited which is why I'm not considering a 400 f4 :frown:

I have seen the Sigma 300 HSM f2.8 in the classifieds and considering that as an option too.

Comments and suggestions greatfully recieved.

Pete

I personally would not go with TC's. Others may rate them, and with good reason, as they can perform very well indeed. But I like to have a lens doing what it was made for and not altering its results.

The nikkor 70-200 f2.8 is a phenominal lens and well worth getting. I don't have any experiance with the sigma 300mm though.

I was unaware that Nikon did a 1.5x TC ??? :shrug:

I guess if I were in that position, I'd get the 70-200 and a 300mm f2.8.

I I don't have any experiance with the sigma 300mm though.

I haven't used one either but Diego was using one, have a look for some of his posts from the footy and American football, stunning stuff :)

There's always the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 that Joe T and I have. It does give you the flexibility of a zoom but still f/2.8 all the way. I use mine for sports & aircraft, Joe uses his for motorsport. I presume Joe may put his 2 penneth in but I've had my lens for a few months now and it's superb.

With the 1.4 tc added, you get a 168-420mm F4 lens or with the 2x tc, a 240-600mm f/5.6.

Suitable for both touring cars & wildlife. (y)

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/120-300mm.htm

Cheers,

Adam.

I have considered one of those instead of the 300mm, but finding a good used one at a price I can afford isn't easy. I guess I'm going to have to just keep my eyes peeled for one coming up for sale at a god price. :)

Hi there,

I've got a Sigma 120-300 which I use with a D200 and snap mostly budgies when I'm allowed out the house! It's a very flexible tool and with the D200 sensor has a nice zoom range for all the but the smallest chirpers. The 2.8 is nice to have and I often use mine with a 1.4 TC to get a max 420mm zoom at f4.0. I haven't posted pics on here for a few months (new baby and all that) but if you can dig out some of my posts then you can see some of my efforts!

I picked mine up from flea-bay for about 900 quid which I consider a decent price for a good bit of kit. If you can stretch to that amount and one comes up then I'd definately recommend it.

Have a look at http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=145 much cheaper than £1668.99 from Warehouse express. Any good?

True it is, but warrenty issues are my worry. I've heard Sigma don't honour the warrenty for parallel imports.

Hi there,

I've got a Sigma 120-300 which I use with a D200 and snap mostly budgies when I'm allowed out the house! It's a very flexible tool and with the D200 sensor has a nice zoom range for all the but the smallest chirpers. The 2.8 is nice to have and I often use mine with a 1.4 TC to get a max 420mm zoom at f4.0. I haven't posted pics on here for a few months (new baby and all that) but if you can dig out some of my posts then you can see some of my efforts!

I picked mine up from flea-bay for about 900 quid which I consider a decent price for a good bit of kit. If you can stretch to that amount and one comes up then I'd definately recommend it.

A 120-300 is definately now in the list of possibles, if I sell the 24-70 I have collecting dust, and the 300/f Nikkor then I'm some of the way there to picking one of these up once I find one for sale.

Well dilema over, I just pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Sigma 300/2.8 :)

Back