Lens Dilemma, 7D + 5D MkII

Name
Gareth Spiller
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been happy shooting with a 7D for a few years and will likely keep the camera for my 100-400(wildlife, zoo trips and motorsport) but I have bought a 5D MkII and right now I use the 70-200 f4 IS on there and love it to bits. What I would like to do is get another lens for the 5D and sell or swap out one of my EF-S lenses, either the 10-22 or 17-55 2.8 IS. Much as I would love to keep both I simply cannot justify keeping them just for the 7D and want something wider for the 5D. I've considered the 17-40 f4 swap for the 10-22 but I think the larger sensor of the 5D will not give that much better results to the 10-22 on the 7D with corner sharpness on the 17-40. My second thoughts (the expensive option!) was to sell the 17-55 2.8 IS and get the 'brick' 24-70 2.8 MkII. I've not ruled out prime lenses for the 5D but for shooting fast moving kids and my weekend car photography they are less practical and I tend to favour zooms. If the 24-70 MkII is as sharp as they say it may be worth the extra cash as it's pretty close to the 17-55 on the 7D and I've loved using that lens for years. Having the 24-70 on both the 7D and 5D and keep the 10-22 and 70-200 is where my mind is going right now. I'd like thoughts and options from those who have either made the switch 7D to 5D or those running both bodies. At this stage I've not set a budget, it's more a case of limiting lenses to 3-4 in my bag at any one time.

What about the 24-105 F4 IS
Its a good lens on full frame with a little extra reach. Guess the question is do you want/need the extra stop of light that the 24-70 will give you.

Is that due to lighting or for depth of field ? Remember that the depth of field of a lens on an aps-c body will be greater than the same effective focal length on full frame. (see http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/530133/depth-of-field-comparison for an example).
I used a 24-70L 2.8 as my main lens on my 7D and it's still my main lens on my 5D2 as well. I have a 17-40 that I tend not to use too much, I mainly use it for landscapes but haven't done much of that for a while.

From what you're saying it seems like the 7D isn't going to be used as your general usage camera, due to that I think you need a general use lens for the 5D2. Looks like it's the expensive option.

I need 2.8 for shooting indoor events hand held. I do Landscape shots currently with the 7D so my thoughts were to get at least one wide lens for the 5D to make use of the larger sensor. My train of thought was to replace all the EF-S lenses at some point so I can use both bodies with a smaller number of lenses and have some form of backup if one camera dies on me during a shoot. I guess I could keep the 10-22 at this early stage and get a cheaper manual focus prime lens on the 5D as all my landscape work is done through live view anyway.

Only you know what you're realistically going to use. If the 10-22 goes then that doesn't give you much towards a replacement wide lens for either the 7D or 5D2. If the 17-55 goes then you're a bit closer to the 24-70 mk2. The 5D2's larger sensor and better noise performance would help with your indoor events @ 2.8. Have you considered renting a 24-70Mk2 and trying it out to see how you get on with it compared to the 7D / 17-55 ? Could save you money in the long run.

Back