Lens dilemma.........

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have only 1 lens, having just sold my 35mm 1.8 nikkor.
The lens I have is a Nikkor 18-200mm which does get a lot of use as a general do it all lens.
I would like another lens, but not sure which to get.
I'm not in a position to spend a lot, but could have around £200 available.
If I had the money, I'd buy several lenses, namely a 150-500/600 type lens which I would use for birds etc and I think I would use it a lot.
I would also buy a macro lens, possibly a 90mm or 105mm, which could also double up as a portrait lens.
I would possibly buy a 10-20mm lens for landscape shots.

I was thinking of buying a used 17-50 or a 18-55 f2.8 lens which I could use for landscapes or portraits etc
But then I think about a 70-300 but not sure if it would be much use for birds etc, and may end up being a waste of money.
Then I think I would be better with the macro lens as I don't have that area covered at the moment with my 18-200.

I would be interested to hear thoughts and views etc from you guys before I decide, or try to decide.:)

If you aren't sure what to get I would say wait until you are sure what to get. Also, why did you sell the 35 1.8? This is odd behaviour.

£200 is not going to get you any of those lenses you've mentioned apart from a used 10-20 maybe.

What do you shoot most of all? Wanting to shoot birds, landscapes and macro tells me you haven't really settled into one particular area. If you want to be a general photographer stick with a general lens or you could be throwing your money away.

As Scott says, it depends a lot on what you want to shoot and what it is about your 18-200mm that you find limiting or frustrating.

FWIW, I currently have four lenses: Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 15-85mm, 100mm Macro and 100-400mm. These pretty much cover everything I want to shoot right now. Might add a wide aperture portrait lens sometime, but I don't shoot a lot of portraits so don't feel a strong need. Camera body upgrade is most likely to be my next purchase, though again I don't feel a lot of pressure to spend out just at the moment as I'm getting decent results with what I have.

Last edited:
decide what u want for the next few months, the 10 20 is fun, but if u want wide and fun u can get clip on lenses for phones for a few quid, 235 degree fisheye is alot of fun :D

It's not that easy, firstly are we talking DX or FX?.. With lenses it is a mine field. My advice (for what it's worth) would be to take your camera body to a decent camera shop and ask nicely if you can try out a few s/h lenses....Sadly one size does not fit all. Good Luck :)

Be interested to know why you got rid of that lovely lens too. I would wait to see what you think you need a new lens for first

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the replies.
I originally had a 50mm which I swapped for the 35mm as I liked the idea of something a bit wider.
The 35mm is too wide for my portrait stuff but not wide enough for landscapes.
I thought that a used 17-50 or 18-50 sigma or tamron would fit the bill as it covers the wider 18mm plus the 35 & 50mm. It is also faster than my Nikon 18-200mm.
That was my plan until I confused myself by thinking about a 70-300mm sigma, 10-20mm sigma and a macro lens.:)

Shouldn't get rid of that 50mm if you want it for portrait.

If you need something faster then the tamron 17-50, nikon 17-55 is good choice.

Back