Lens envy, or just ideas above my station?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I think the title sums this up nicely, as I seem to be suffering from a serious case of Lens envy and a distinct lack of talent to go with it! It also seems that I like to make my life complicated!!! My questions/problems are as follows:

I have always had an interest in macro photography and now at last have a camera (40D) to match, so I had originally thought I would purchase the Canon 100mm macro, nice and simple. But then I started looking at their 180mm, hence the Lens envy!

Now I know that given the price there will be no comparison between the two, so I guess my real question is, as a novice would I simply be overwhelmed by the better Lens (is it even worth putting on a 40D, I assume so?) and running the risk of not getting to grips with it and giving up when the 100mm would have been more than sufficient? Of course the flip side is in a few months would I regret buying the 100mm and end up purchasing the other, sorry thinking allowed, ignore that one.

I then thought maybe stick with the 100mm macro and with the cash saved purchase the Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS (well I did say I liked to make my life complicated!) and use this as my everyday lens, perhaps selling my current one, a Canon 17-85 IS USM?

So I wasn't sure if this option was better, as whilst I have an interest in macro photography it is not my sole interest, being very keen on trees and landscapes etc?

Of course the final option (although I briefly considered the 24-70mm f2.8 L) is that I simply buy the 100mm macro as everything else I have is more than up to the job and I stop moaning and enrol on a Lens envy counselling course?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, failing that lets have some more alternatives to confuse me further!

I use the 100 and the 180L but they really have their individual benefits in different areas.
The 100 is excellent and easy to hand hold although the working distance can be a little on the close side for nervous bugs (working distance = distance from the front of the lens to the subject). The 180L has a much larger working distance but is quite heavy in comparison although it does provide excellent subject isolation qualities.
Whilst the 180L is a great lens, I think you'd be better to start with the 100 and get to grips with it....the shots taken will be pretty much identical in IQ for the same framing.
Sigma also produce some good macro lenses...the 105 and 150 come highly recommended and work out a little cheaper.

Again, I don't think you'll regret starting with the EF 100.

Bob

I've got the 100mm and it's a cracking lens, more than adequate for the amount of macro work I do. Plus I have the 24-105mm on a 5D and I love it to bits, it's rarely off the camera!

I'd like something a little wider for landscapes so that may well be on my list this year but other than that.....

It's a good mix.

if you dont have the talent why not cheap lens, learn to play and then invest. if you are then truley talentless no money wasted.

flip side once yyuo realise you have massive bucket loads you will kknow the limits of you and your camera. once got fantastic lens your abilites go through the roof as you know how to use your camera. the lens will then assist that knowledge and provide good service.

my opinion only.

Macro and landscapes eh! Not extreme in anyway then?

I've spent my hard earned on a 24 -70 f2.8 L series and a 70 - 200 f2.8 L series and I don't think I'll ever need anything else. I tend to use the 70 - 200 most of all. And, yes I do feel a little like I wasted a couple of hundred on a 28 - 135 a couple of years ago and sort of wished I'd gone for the faster lenses first, but it seems to be a sort of learning curve that you have to go through. I don't know, I'm no real expert

I've been in this situation before. I would recommend buying the cheaper lens and honing your skill for a few months. If you're still using the lens a lot and see improvements, then sell your current lens and replace it with a lovely L lens.

If you can afford L glass, then get it. That way, you'll feel happiest about your purchase, and will hopefully use it more. That said, lens envy never ends :LOL: - there's always something bigger, better or sharper out there :)

Maybe not entirely relevant here, I have no experience of any macro lenses. But I always work on the buy right, buy once policy. I'll be adding a couple more lenses to my kit when I get the money, but can't see me replacing any as I bought good ones in the first place. (As I say, maybe not relevant here, from what I've heard the 100 macro is a nice bit of kit).

Gotta say I love the 100mm macro, tack sharp and easy to handle, maybe put the extra cash towards a flash to go with it ?, or a 300m f4'L' for shooting butterflies and dragonflies, thats what I use mine for some of the time.

Alan

Thank you all very much for your comments.

Bob, it was helpful to hear from someone with both and I must say I was a little concerned over the size and weight of the 180, so that and your other comments (along with the others, AliB included) leads me to believe the 100 is the lens for me.

Wise words too from hotchef and whilst I am not quite as talentless as I made out you are right, why run before I can walk and I should enjoy the learning process.

Well Badger UK, I did say I like to make my life complicated didn't I! I think the reason I was considering the 180 was simply to avoid, what I thought might be wasting money on the 100 and then being forced to upgrade later, as I would usually tend to follow Jayst84's advice and just buy something once.

Marky_h it seems my lens envy has started early and looks set to continue! Would it help if I just bought them all!?!

GAELICSTORM7, tack sharp and easy to handle, that seals the deal, the 100 it is then, oh and a Speedlite too!

Thanks again everyone.

Fitzy

Yayyyy. Look forward to seeing some of the results. I have to say, having read your post, I'm looking forward to getting a few flowers in the garden this year just so I can get the thing out again. It's been hibernating! (I wish I did!)

Back