Lens experts

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
No
my 50mm f1.8 arrived today superb lens but its now the 2nd lens i have which has a dial right at the bottom where it fits onto the camera body can anyone help with what this is for ?

there is a toggle to pull up to be able to turn it all the numbers are the same colour apart from the last one.

help please

picture would help

what numbers are they?

That is the apature ring and you need to make sure it is set onf22 or you won,t be able to take a photo.

It's the aperture dial. Just set it to f/22, push that switch down and forget about it. The camera sets the aperture.

on the 50mm they are

1.8 2.8 4 5.6 8 11 16 22 all white apart from the 22 which is in gold/yellow

my 50mm f1.8 arrived today superb lens but its now the 2nd lens i have which has a dial right at the bottom where it fits onto the camera body can anyone help with what this is for ?

there is a toggle to pull up to be able to turn it all the numbers are the same colour apart from the last one.

help please

Its the aperture ring, the numbers on it are the "f" numbers the reason the highest number is in a different colour is that it has to be locked on this so that the camera can control the aperture.

This lens is an old design which was made for film cameras.Modern dslr cameras do not need the aperture ring.If you try to take a photo without it being set at f22 you won,t be able.When I first got mine I thought there was something wrong with it untill it was explained to me.

thats great cheers guys, i presume this would only be needed on a camera which doesnt set it for you.

cheers

thats great cheers guys, i presume this would only be needed on a camera which doesnt set it for you.

cheers

Correct! The new Nikon G type lenses do way with it, but I like them because you can open the aperture up when the lens is off the camera and inspect the elements and demonstrate how the aperture works to people! :D

Stuart

Back