Beginner Lens filters and adapters?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have owned just a little Fujifilm Finepix S2950 for a while now for the enjoyment. It's ok but a friend of mine recommended getting lens filters. I did some research into lens filters and saw something about needing a lens adapter? I don't know much about lens filters etc so I could use some advice as to what I'll need to buy along with the lens filters and how to know what size I need to get :)

Your camera can't mount filters directly, so you'll need an adapter that fits over the front of the lens. This seems to be what you're looking for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003PJ8GTK. I'm not familiar with it, but it seems to accept 58mm and 72mm filters. A couple of the reviews mention problems with the lens hitting the 58mm filters if you zoom, so it's probably better to buy the larger ones.

What do you want to use filters for? Most people find circular polarising and neutral density filters the most useful, but it depends what you want to achieve. Digital cameras don't need ultra violet filters - they're a hangover from the film days - but some people do use them because they believe it protects the lens. This is controversial, and there are plenty of heated arguments about it on the forums if you want to search! Let's just say I don't use them as a rule, but I might if there was a lot of sea spray or flying sand/grit around, if I remembered to bring with one me.

One tip, don't buy cheap filters. You probably don't need the very best, which are expensive, but avoid the low budget ones. They won't improve your images and are far more likely to cause softness and flare. Hoya and Kenko are good, but I'm sure others will offer suggestions too.

Last edited:
Just simply someone recommending anything isn't enough. It is you who is spending money so it is you who is making choices whether you need to do something.

I understand from your decision that you know which filters you want and what you want to use them for. Could you tell us more about it?

For your camera, you will need to get an adapter which simply gives you a thread so you can screw filters on.

Back