Lens for 20D

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter is a keen little trampolinist and has her first competition coming up, being proud dad I'd like to take some pictures, so will need a better lens for the day then my 18-55 that currently sits on my 20D, I'm looking to hire one for the weekend.
The same weekend it is the local village carnival and the kids are in it, so I would also like to take some pictures, and hopefully I can get away with just hiring the one lens for the weekend to do both.
I've been looking at using lensesforhire
and so far have been thinking like the EF 70-200mm f2.8 L would that be a suitable lens for what I want? or would I better off hiring a different lens and if so what?

Sounds like that lens would do the trick, as I doubt you'll be that far away from them. The 2.8 should let you keep the shutter speeds up if it's a typical overcast British day.

Assuming that this is indoors, I would personally look at the prime lenses. The 70-200mm f2.8 good, but f2.8 minimum I would use indoors.

I would look at 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2 or 135mm f2 lenses as these would be more suitable for capturing moving subjects in low light

I would also suggest a 70-200.

I suppose a lot wll depend upon the distance you're shooting from, the framing you want the light level. If the light levels are a bit low a prime will give you f1.4 at 50 or 85mm which will help to keep your shutter speed up and / or ISO down but beyond the reach that those lenses would give maybe a f2.8 zoom will give you better reach and framing options.

+1 for the above. I've recently got a 35 f2, a 50 f1.4 and an 85 f1.8 and all of them are excellent, but if you have a distance problem you would need the f2.8 zoom.

When you say better do you mean longer? If not, as the others have suggested to 50mm 1.4 I would suggest buying a 50mm 1.8. They cost peanuts and take some lovely shots, distance permitting.

When you say better do you mean longer? If not, as the others have suggested to 50mm 1.4 I would suggest buying a 50mm 1.8. They cost peanuts and take some lovely shots, distance permitting.

Because although the 50mm f1.8 is a great lens, especially for the £££ and creates sharp images, its major flaw is the back ground, it does create nice bokeh and the colours can be average. The canon 50mm f1.4 the better lens, but you have to pay more.

Agreed that it's a better lens. The price difference is nearly 3.5 times. Is the lens 3.5 times better than the 1.8 though? It was just a suggestion to the OP as instead of using money to hire it would have been possible to purchase maybe?

Back