Lens for D40?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am looking for a new lens for my D40. I haven't had the camera long and am new to photography, I have the kit lens at the moment but am hoping to add to it very soon. I am interested in portrait and landscape photography and will be wanting a macro lens later on (but this will have to wait for now - one thing at a time!). Is there a lens which can do for both landscape and portrait? I didn't think there was but please enlighten me. If not what is the best lens for portrait and landscape photography? Thanks

Best is often a relative term ;)

How wide do you want your landscape lens to be?

The 18-55 kit lens isn't so bad for both portraits and landscapes, but then again, I'm don't do portraits often and I haven't been out for some landscapes for ages now.

hi webby :) as you are wanting a portrait lens i find the sigma 105mm 2.8 a great lens for portraits, but more importantly - it's a brilliant macro lens aswell, and with extension tubes added which are pretty cheap you can get even closer. but note: auto-focus from a d40 will not work with this lens. i don't find this a problem personally because portrait work is static, plus if you use extension tubes for macro (cheap ones) you would lose auto-focus anyway.
anyhow, found it a great buy :)

hi webby :) as you are wanting a portrait lens i find the sigma 105mm 2.8 a great lens for portraits, but more importantly - it's a brilliant macro lens aswell, and with extension tubes added which are pretty cheap you can get even closer. but note: auto-focus from a d40 will not work with this lens. i don't find this a problem personally because portrait work is static, plus if you use extension tubes for macro (cheap ones) you would lose auto-focus anyway.
anyhow, found it a great buy :)

Thanks for that Aussie D40x! Sounds like a good buy having both options.

You should look at the Canon 100mm macro f2.8. !!! Not so good for landscape but great for macro and portrait.

Have just got one. It is amazing and probably the sharpest lens I have ever owned.

About £250 from Ebay at the moment. For that you will get an American import but supplied form the UK so no customs problems.

If you want to do macro you cannot compromise on quality. You are probably going to want two lenses in the end for macro and landscape.

^^^ Lol! Exactly! Oh well :shrug:

For landscapes and portraiture, I personally would recommend the Nikon 18-70 f3.5-4.5. 18mm is wide enough for most landscape work, and 70mm is not far off what most are recommending for portrait work. Ok, you might have to get a little closer, but 70mm should be fine initially. Saves buying two seperate lenses initially as well if money is tight.

It is an AF-S lens so will work on the D40. It's light, small and very charp, and will feel balanced on the D40. I had one on my D50 before I got my 17-55 and loved using it. Can be had on ebay for very little money now, and really is a nice lens.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Nikkor-...ryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Saying all that however, in terms of focal range isn't too dissimilar from your kit lens. So if you are happy with the quality of the kit lens, maybe consider what others have said about getting a dedicated macro lens. I too would recommend the Sigma 105mm, but of course this wont work on the D40. I personally am not that familiar with other makes who make macro lenses, but if you want to stretch the extra cash, and are happy with the focal length, the Sigma 150mm will deffo work on the D40.

Also, as I'm not sure on your budget, you could look at this lens for portraiture and macro...
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3340&navigator=3
It is not a dedicated macro, as it can only reproduce 1:3.5 magnification ratio, but you'll still get fairly close with it. Also the image quality from this lens is very good.

OR.....

You could look at this lens...
http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/400/overview.html

Not a macro, but is AF-S so will work on the D40, and has VR as well. 120mm should also suffice for portraiture.

OR!

You could look at this lens if the budget allows...
http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/392/overview.html

Will do everything you want apart from the macro. IMHO, I'd go for this one, as it's a really nice lens that does a very usefull focal range, and does it well!

If you want a wideish lens, which works for landscapes and portraits; Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM.

If you want a longer lens for portraits and macros; the newly announced Nikon 60mm f2.8 AF-S

:)

Back