Lens for Landscape - Canon 600d

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
So i'm getting a bonus on my pay check this month, half of which is going on my trip to america and the other half on a good quality lens for my 600d.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens, mainly for landscapes but I want to get some good night time shots of NYC when i go. I've been hovering around the 17-40mm L, bearing in mind my budget is 500-600. I'm aware that this wont be as wide as it gets as my 600d isnt full frame but I'm worried the 10-22mm is too restrictive in terms of focal length.

Basically I'm looking for words of advice for wide angle lens on that budget and whether there is any other companies which do a decent wide angle lens.. Sigma..?

Your kit lens already covers the same range as the 17-40mm anyway. The 10-22mm is a rough 16-35mm equivalent for crop cameras.

Well, In all honesty, The 17-40mm Is an L lens. You'll get good Glass at a decent price and can use it as your standard lens if you so wish too. Alternatively, Look at a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Sigma 10-22. Covers all areas and wont leave you too restricted. Should all come into your budget.

The 15-85 is a good lens and specific for a crop sensor.....i use the sigma 10-20 which imo is a great lens

Hi, I am always saying to anyone who is visiting the USA "if you have the time" wait!! and buy your gear over there.
Look at the exchange rate.
As far as I can see the 10-22mm for example in B&H (In NYC) is 859 USD and that is about 568 GBP the price in the UK for the 10-22mm is about again as far as I can see 650 GBP. so approx 80 GBP saving.
Have a look at the B&H store site here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Category_SLR+Lenses&ci=274&N=4288584247+4291570227

Russ

I'm looking for a wide angle lens, mainly for landscapes but I want to get some good night time shots of NYC when i go. I've been hovering around the 17-40mm L,...

The 17-40mm f4 was designed as a wide angle full frame lens but on an APS-C camera it just becomes a "standard" if slightly short focal range f4 zoom.

IMVHO for APS-C a quality 18-50mm f2.8 makes much more sense. There are options from Sigma, Tamron and Canon (17-55mm f2.8.)

Personally when I had a 20D I went for a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and it was IMVHO a really good lens. The only faults I can pick are that there's a little distortion at the widest focal length and it'd be a better lens if it had USM/HSM or whatever Tamron choose to call it. Positives include being relatively compact and light and being really sharp. Mine was the sharpest zoom I've ever owned.

I'd forget the 17-40mm f4 and get a 17-50mm f2.8... you'd get a longer zoom range and constant f2.8 and if you went for the Sigma or Tamron it'd probably be more compact and lighter than the 17-40mm. It's an easy decision IMVHO.

Last edited:
I'm aware that i already have the 17-40 focal length but I want the lens which gives me the best quality shots. Does the sigma 10-22mm produce the same quality shots as the canon lens?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm aware that i already have the 17-40 focal length but I want the lens which gives me the best quality shots. Does the sigma 10-22mm produce the same quality shots as the canon lens?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Whilst it will be sharper, I would certainly try it first or you might be disappointed in the difference depending on your expectations.

If you want something wider than the kit lens then the Canon 10-22mm is something I can definitely recommend and the Tokina 10-17mm also gets good reviews because of it's price and since it's the fasted ultra wide zoom for crop sensors.

If you just want the same focal length that you have currently but better than the 17-55mm F2.8 also gets some good reviews.

+1 for the sigma 10-20. Awesome lens. Had mine for a while now and love it.
This combined with my tam 17-50 covers a very usable focal length whilst having much improved iq.
Do you have kit lens 18-50 or have you upgraded that?
You coule pick up a sigma 10-20 and a tam 17-50 for your budget just about :)

If you've got the budget id get the 10-22 no contest. It lives on my 550D about 70% of the time.

Definitely easy to have it on there :) Obviously it's not ideal for everything but I do love mine and got it for a decent price as it was second hand

The best third party UWA lens for crop sensor is the Tokina 11-16, it definitely has the edge over the Sigma 10-20 imo. The Canon 10-22 should be seriously considered though if you have the budget.

I am seriously considering thr Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II is F2.8, for interior photos, and external architecture buildings.

Found this interesting comparison:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digi...ooms/chart.htm

Stated the Sigma 10-20mm has 'sloppy' mechanics, whilst Canon & Tokina were excellent', and Tamron were 'very good'.

Optics were similar, which the Canon & Tonkia being 'Excellent', and Tamron were 'Very good', whilst Sigma got a 'fair' rating.

I am seriously considering thr Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II is F2.8, for interior photos, and external architecture buildings.

Found this interesting comparison:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digi...ooms/chart.htm

Stated the Sigma 10-20mm has 'sloppy' mechanics, whilst Canon & Tokina were excellent', and Tamron were 'very good'.

Optics were similar, which the Canon & Tonkia being 'Excellent', and Tamron were 'Very good', whilst Sigma got a 'fair' rating.

Not the kenrockwell please DONATE site;)
Better to look at other reviews before you buy. JMO

Rockwell is hardly trustworthy nor is "fair" or "excellent" a quantitative measurement of optics and performance! It's sensationalist drivel (The tripod is dead, use ISO 128,000 instead etc).

If you want a proper lens review try http://www.lenstip.com/ or http://www.photozone.de

At least on those they do comparative and quantitative tests so better than rockwell.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I've done many, many hours of reading around on this and I've finally decided to go for the Canon 10-22mm EF-S to cover wide angle shots and then use my kit lens for everything else.

It was a toss-up between the Canon and the Tokina 11-16mm. The Tokina just about edges it in terms of image quality but is pretty shocking for lens flare (although all wide angles lenses suffer from this to some degree), or at least it is in the comparisons that I've seen between the two.

The fact that Canon currently have an £80 cashback offer on is what really swung it for me.

Thanks for all the info guys, with your help I've decided on the canon 10-22mm and saved myself some cash! I have a 24-85 USM already so those two should cover everything i want to capture. Just wondering whether I should take my 50mm as well....

Where is the £80 Cash back being advertised? I can only see it valid for the printers?

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I've done many, many hours of reading around on this and I've finally decided to go for the Canon 10-22mm EF-S to cover wide angle shots and then use my kit lens for everything else.

It was a toss-up between the Canon and the Tokina 11-16mm. The Tokina just about edges it in terms of image quality but is pretty shocking for lens flare (although all wide angles lenses suffer from this to some degree), or at least it is in the comparisons that I've seen between the two.

The fact that Canon currently have an £80 cashback offer on is what really swung it for me.

in all the uwa threads ive read nobody seems to mention the tamron 10-24.why is this are they crap or something.

bleddyn

Assuming you dont wanna be carrying a load of gear with you, The Canon 15-85mm is a no brainer. This is the best walk around lens which has a decent wide angle as well as reach on a APS-C, When i had a 60D i never had it off and it produced some excellent landscapes.

Last edited:
So I got an excellent condition 10-22mm (canon) for 450, here are the first few shots I've taken. Very pleased with the results and I'm glad I went with the wide angle, very much suits my style of shooting.

116.1 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

086 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

There is a real world of difference between the 10-22 and the 15-85. I have used both and I suggest you compare the field of vision between 10 and 15 it is surprising just what a difference it makes. On a cropped lens you are comparing 10x1.6 (16) and 15x1.6 (24). If you really need a uwa lens then imho you cannot beat the canon 10-22.

It has to be the canon 10 - 22 its a great lens for a crop body and the picyure quality is excellent, when I researched the options a couple of years ago it came out tops and does handle flare well. I will often put it on the 50D and find myself using it lots, you can have so much fun playing.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Tokina 12-24 f/4 - similar build quality to the Tokina 11-16 (i.e. built like a tank!), super sharp and a good range.

It gives the Canon 10-22 a good run for its money and is better than the Sigma 10-20. Admittedly it's not quite as wide as the Canon or Sigma, but 10mm is very wide on a crop (verging on fisheye wide).

tamron 10-24 i have had mine a few months but only taken a few pics with it but the image quality looked fine i must take it out soon

bleddyn

Back