Lens for Nikon crop body.

Edit My Images
No
Just purchased a used D500 from a forum user (cheers Trev) and know bugger all about Nikon tbh. I bought it purely to use a big Sigma lens with but could really do with a couple of zooms to pack with it "just in case". I'm not after anything spectacular as I have my Pentax full frame body and lenses for landscape etc so after a bit of looking around the 24-120 f/4 and a 70-300mm of some description look favourite.

Are they reasonable lenses or can you recommend something else to cover this range ... also which 70-300mm should I be looking at?

TIA.

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
The 24-70 f/4 is a decent performer with a good range of focal lengths and makes a great partner to a 70-300, especially the VR version. BUT, both are Fx lenses rather than Dx (although I believe there's a Dx 70-300) so relatively heavy. I'd look for a good copy of the 18-70 that was a kit lens with such bodies as the D70 and D200 - a kit lens because it came as part of many kits rather than because it's a "just about good enough" lens to keep people interested but make them look at a swift upgrade.

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I'm a fan of the 18-70 too but if you have deeper pockets the 16-80 and older 16-85 are also worth a look. Not a lot wrong with the 18-140 either. 70-300 AF-P DX seems well regarded if you need something longer.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have both the 24-120 f/4 and 70-300 VR lenses and aside from the 70-300 being a tad soft beyong 280mm I can't fault them. Mounted onto a D500 you will have a powerful set up which will also be ready for when/if you decide to go full frame.

A DX lens that is often derided, but which I found to be very good bvalue for money, is the 18-105 VR. Lightweight and compact with better than average optics :)

Edit My Images
No
The only problem with 24-x is that it isn't that wide on DX. You could always supplement it with (e.g.) an 18-35 AFS FX if you need wider, of course. On the other hand, you can find the 18-70 DX for £60-80 and sell it for what you paid if you ever need FX. It's sharp and focuses fast and has a metal mount; its only real weakness is the level of distortion at the wide end, which you'll notice if you shoot architecture or other straight lines.

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Cheers for the info, I want to "future proof" myself to some extent and am looking at full frame lenses tbh.

A 24-120 f/4 is a decent performer. Not as ultimately sharp as a Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 but you'd be hard pushed to see much difference in real life. A Sigma 12-24 will cover the wide end at a reasonable cost but try before you buy, there are reports of dodgy copies WRT quality control.