lens for reptile house?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Been doing alot of zoo photography this last month and some days when the day is gloomy i go into the reptile house, i got a d7200 using only a 18-55 kit lens but cannot seem to get enough light some of the enclosures are dim lit and i dont let my iso go higher than 1600. I dont think a flash would work due to reflections on the glass and a chance of scaring the reptile.I was thinking of getting a wider lens like a 35mm f1.8 or a 10-20mm f3.5 to try to get more light but before i spend my money any recommendations or help on this matter. I have even tried my 70-200 f2.8 stepping back a bit with a polarizer on but still see glare and loose light.I cannot use my tripod in there they are not allowed and a mono-pod does not make much difference.
If this topic is in the wrong place feel free to move it as i always post in the wrong section,sorry in advance.

I wonder if a 50mm f1.8 would be a useful lens in this situation What sort of focal length are you using on the kit lens?

The 10-20mm lens would not give you much more light than the kit lens..

I thought about the 50mm but on a dx would limit the focal distance, for example a snake on a branch with its head and tail hanging can only get enough focal distance with a 50mm compared to a 18-55,on the 18mm i can get him all in but not get enough light and thinking a 10-20mm would open up bigger to allow more light in.

Reptiles in zoos tend to be fairly slow moving so as long as you can eliminate camera movement, you should be ok. f/2.8 or faster should get you decent shutter speeds, especially if you can use relatively high ISO. A rubber screw in lens hood can help reduce reflections from the glass - press the front against the glass and use the hood's flexibility to get some angle. Your polariser will be eating light - around a stop, possibly more. It'll reduce reflections but increase the exposure time.

I thought about the 50mm but on a dx would limit the focal distance, for example a snake on a branch with its head and tail hanging can only get enough focal distance with a 50mm compared to a 18-55,on the 18mm i can get him all in but not get enough light and thinking a 10-20mm would open up bigger to allow more light in.

The 10-20 has the same variable aperture as your kit lens, more or less so you aren't really gaining anything.

Personally, I don't understand why you are limiting yourself to ISO 1600, your camera is easily capable of good results at 3200 and even 6400 if you expose correctly, and that is free to try.

For reptile houses a zoom is pretty handy as you need to be on the glass to reduce any reflections (a rubber hood is good here too) so the ability to change the focal length is pretty good. Also, the wider you go the more problems you will have with reflections so I don't necessarily think a wide angle lens is what you need.

So if i stick with my kit lens get a rubber hood and change my iso this will do the trick?

Try setting the camera to auto ISO and restrict the highest to something like 3200 it should be fine at that level

Back