Lens for Rugby

There is a significant difference in photographing amateur and professional rugby. It is much easier to predict action with professional rugby. For example, line-outs they throw to the one jumping and the opposition may also compete whereas for amateurs, it can seem a little random. However, for premiership matches, you may need a press pass. Sadly my local premiership club will no longer allow photography with an interchangeable lens camera. Generally I have found that my 70 -200 is ideal from the touchline.

Dave

Last edited:
Just hired one for the weekend. I've calibrated it to my D500 but I've noticed there is quite a prominent whirring sound when focusing and seems to stay on for a few seconds after the shot is taken. Is this normal for this lens???

Just hired one for the weekend. I've calibrated it to my D500 but I've noticed there is quite a prominent whirring sound when focusing and seems to stay on for a few seconds after the shot is taken. Is this normal for this lens???
That is the VR operating and is normal on the bigger lenses

I always used a 300mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8

As others have said be careful about whether interchangeable lens cameras are allowed in the ground without a press pass. That’s the case at Bath Rugby. (You may have that covered of course)

Back