Lens for skate photography

Edit My Images
No
I'm considering buying a lens for skate photography. I fisheye or very wide lens seems appropriate. I've considered the 10-20mm Sigma. Given that I'm using a 400d with a 1.6x sensor I clearly won't get the field of view which I'd get with a full frame camera.

Ideally I'd like to be able to take pictures similar to this one (note that this is not mine, if it was, I'd be giving up my day job).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

SK1005_van07.jpg

Fisheye lenses can only be used for skate photography... Its the law or something

I have the last one, the Peleng 8mm. It is really poorly built, takes ages to fit into the camera, has no auto focus, is difficult to operate, and the lens cap keeps falling off.

The picture quality is okay than, and my god was it cheap. Not for a lens, but it was cheap for a fisheye lens.

If it were me, I would go for the 8mm Sigma, and there is also a 10-17mm Fisheye Tokina lens here.

also, Sigma are bringing out a 4.5mm fisheye lens.

slightly cheaper than the Peleng is the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye, although some dslrs have issues with the lens coming into contact with the mirror (not sure which ones)

The Tokina 10-17 shows a lot more distortion at 10mm than the Sigma.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens is going to be slow for indoor work ! You are in the need for a much faster lens for skateboarding photography.

Thanks,

Paul

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens is going to be slow for indoor work ! You are in the need for a much faster lens for skateboarding photography.

Thanks,

Paul

actually paul's got a point. Thinking about it, indoor or outdoors f4 probably won't be fast enough. To get nice sharp images your going to need fast shutter speeds so some nice fast glass might be in order.

The Zenitar fisheye works at f2.8, but (IMHO) something more like a 24mm EF f1.4 would be ideal (if not a little too expensive).

Thanks very much, some very useful info there. To be honest, the speed of the lens probably won't be such an issue as I don't think I'd be taking photos indoors, and probably not in low-light either. Also, I think that a large aperature might be a bit unforgiving in terms of depth of field.

Ideally I'd like a lens which offers a wide enough field of view when used with a 1.6x sensor. However, I don't want too much of a fisheye effect. Plus, it would be nice if I could use it for other, non-skate subjects too. Perhaps I'm asking too much there though.

Could anyone guess what sort of lens was used for the sample shot I provided. 10mm?

This photo was taken with a 24mm lens...

No-5.jpg

Paul

I reckon focus speed is something you need to consider too, unless you use MF. Wide aperture doesn't always mean fast focusing so you might need to find a trade off.

Back