Lens help for sports!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, I am a newbie and so greets to all.

I have a 400D which I have been getting to grips with - and loving it.

I am going to Silverstone for the first time this year and want to get some pictures. I have a 3 day pass so plan on getting most action Friday/Saturday. I'm also off to the MotoGP again and want to take some snaps then. I went last year and used my EF 90-300 lens which allowed to get a few good shots, but most were binned.

I am after a new lens and would really appreciate advice and input.

Along with the motor-sports I would like to carry on with general photography and landscapes (I love landscapes). I have the lovely EF 50mm 1.8 an EFS 18-55 and an EF 35-80. Other equipment is a mono-pod and a Manfrotto tripod. Ideally the new lens I get would replace the 90-300mm.

My thinking has been around the following:

1) The Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS USM lens. My thinking here would be to use this generally and add a 2x extender for sports?
2) The Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS USM lens.
3) Sigma 150-500MM APO OS DG f5-6.3 USM lens.

I would probably bolster the weight of the canon body by using the battery grip.

Can anyone shed any light on what they think of the above or if they recommend anything different?

Really appreciate help and advice.

Chris

Hello and welcome...I have both the 2x and the 70-200IS F2.8 and I have found the IQ is poor when these 2 are used together. I shot indoor basketball and the 70-200 is a fantasic lens for this. Hope this helps.

The only decent lens you have listed for sports IMHO is the 70-200 f2.8 but then you want to add a x2 extender making it a f5.6

Sports generally needs a fast lens. Motorsport maybe different though? :)

the 70-200 and convertor option would probably be the most versatile. The 100-400 is great though, some shots here with it.

Hi all, thanks for the posts. dod - they are some great shots!

It looks like you do fine with a slower lens - do I 'need' the faster lens?

I assume no-one has yet to play with the sigma due to it's newness?
If I had the 2x on the canon f2.8 (making 5.6) would it be too slow for what I want?

Thanks,

Chris

Well the thread topic says lens for sport so f5.6 is too slow for most sports... Saying that I do cricket at f5.6 using a canon 300mm with 1.4 TC making it f5.6 and it works..

I imagine with motorsport your either pointing at one spot and shoot when the car gets there or your panning.. either way a fast lens wouldnt be a matter of life or death to the pic:)

ADDYONBIT : Its generally considred that a x2 converter will affect quality more than a 1.4

I've read (but have no real experience) that a 70-200L IS + 2x TC is not as good as a 100-400L. No idea if that is true, but someone above is pretty much saying the same? However, I've also heard that a Sigma 120-300mm with a 2X TC is good. Personally, I use a 100-400L for most things, and find it fine for my needs.

I've also heard that a Sigma 120-300mm with a 2X TC is good.

I ahve the sigma 120-300 f2.8 and with a 1.4tc its ok at f4.. slows the AF down noticably for me a constant user.. tried the x2 and found the combination unusable..

OK - feeling confuzzled. Would you recommend F2.8 but less 'throw' but use a crop to bring the action in, or go long but slow?

(KIPAX - I want to take some snaps at the Rosebowl later also!)....

Back