Beginner Lens Help Needed

Name
Nick Rudge
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am very much a beginner with a limited budget and would like some advice on what benefit I would gain from a Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX lens over and above the 18-55mm lens that came with my Nikon 3200.

I understand that it takes over as a zoom from the existing lens allowing me to get closer to objects slightly further in the distance, but will I see any other benefits?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Nick,

What do you normally shoot?

Kev

Hi,

Thanks for the link to the review, that is really helpful.

Kev, I am looking to shoot a mixture of things but mainly people but preferably not a posed portrait. I like to photograph people when they are doing something more natural.

Having said this, I also like to travel and am looking to be a bit more imaginative with holiday photos in terms of architecture etc.

Hope this helps

Nick

Nick,

I have the lens and have only used it a handful of times. It is a very good lens for the money.

I feel it is good at kids sports days where you want to get close ups bet cannot get close enough.

If you feel that when taking photos you miss the zoom go for it otherwise not worth getting it.

Kev

Hi,

I am very much a beginner with a limited budget and would like some advice on what benefit I would gain from a Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX lens over and above the 18-55mm lens that came with my Nikon 3200.

I understand that it takes over as a zoom from the existing lens allowing me to get closer to objects slightly further in the distance, but will I see any other benefits?

Thanks in advance

Nick

In a nut shell, the 55-200 at it's widest zoom setting is going to be the same as your 18-55 at it's longest zoom setting. So you'll likely find many scenarios to use one lens over the other. The 55-200 will be great for people photos. You may find it a little long for just general holiday stuff or architecture but totally depends on your style. At the sort of price the 55-200 sells for (especially if you get a used one) it's probably a bit of a no brainer. They offer great VFM. I suppose the only other option to consider would be purchasing an 18-200 VR and replacing your 18-55 and shelving the 55-200 plan. It'd be more money even buying used but you wouldn't need to switch lenses.

Thanks for the replies. I have taken the plunge and bought the lens so now time to play!! :)

Back