Lens help

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
When I bought my first DSLR in Feb,it was a Nikon d5500 part of the deal included a Nikon dx vr 18/55 3.5-5.6 lens plus a Sigma70/300 4-5.6 plus I bought just recently a Sigma 105 2.8 for macro work and portraits.

What I wanted to ask is there a more versatile lens than the 18/55 I find sometimes there isn't enough DOF with this lens when I change to the zoom lens even on 70mm I'm to close and can't get the whole picture particularly when space behind is limited.

I would be interested in your recommendation for a more versatile lens and if you could recommend an upgrade maybe if possible a wider angle lens if it's possible to combine two features in one lens.

I probably wouldn't buy a Nikon lens maybe the cost would be prohibitive,that's the main reason I went for the Sigma macro lens.

Thank you

What do you mean by lack of DOF wIth the 18-55 ? Surely stopping down will increase the DOF ?

When I bought my first DSLR in Feb,it was a Nikon d5500 part of the deal included a Nikon dx vr 18/55 3.5-5.6 lens plus a Sigma70/300 4-5.6 plus I bought just recently a Sigma 105 2.8 for macro work and portraits.

What I wanted to ask is there a more versatile lens than the 18/55 I find sometimes there isn't enough DOF with this lens when I change to the zoom lens even on 70mm I'm to close and can't get the whole picture particularly when space behind is limited.

I would be interested in your recommendation for a more versatile lens and if you could recommend an upgrade maybe if possible a wider angle lens if it's possible to combine two features in one lens.

I probably wouldn't buy a Nikon lens maybe the cost would be prohibitive,that's the main reason I went for the Sigma macro lens.

Thank you

Do you mean the DOF isn't shallow enough? You can get plenty of DOF with the kit lens!

I think it would help if you could explain this bit again because it's confusing.

If looks to me like you're confusing your terminology somehow. You say there isn't enough depth of field, but you use it in a context which seems like it's the zoom range you're talking about.

You say you want a more versatile lens. What does 'versatile' mean, to you? The way you use that word, it's not clear whether you're referring to the zoom range or to something else. And you say you want a wider angle lens. Wider than 18mm, or wider than 70mm?

Are you looking for a lens which will replace and improve on your 18-55, replace and improve on your 70-300, or replace both?

I would like to replace the 18/55 lens only what lens without costing a fortune would be a suitable upgrade.

Maybe a 18-200 lens, thats versatile and a good walk about lens.

Back