Lens help

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Let's throw this out to some public opinion and see what the masses have to say.

Currently looking at getting a nikon d750 potentially. And wondering what lenses to get

I have always loved my sigma art lenses. and not averse to trying others

Debating 85mm or 135mm sigma art
Opinions?

And maybe a smaller zoom or primes.
24-70mm Nikon
24-70mm sigma art
24-70mm tamron G2
35mm sigma art and 50mm Nikon

My budget isn't huge but want to get it right.

I'm mainly going to be taking portraits and street as and when I can get out. Shooting some bands etc.

Anyways my fellow boardees the floor is yours

35 ART, perhaps 85 ART but it's huge and weighs 1.1kg! A 135

I've gone with 35 ART and 85 1.8G.

Last edited:
If you're shooting bands you'll want fast. I used to shoot up and coming bands in Sweden many years ago with an old Leica and 28, 35 and 50mm 1.4 lenses. They were perfect as flashes were not allowed so you needed fast primes. For street, the less conspicuous the better, so again, a small prime works best. Zone focus and shoot from the hip is what we used to do, again with a Leica. So something like the 35mm 1.4 ART or a 28 and 50 should work well for what you're thinking of. A short 2.8 zoom could work on the street but you'll probably want faster for darkly lit band gigs.

This is my setup too. Want to go 1.4 on the 85 though.

I would like to but I don't think the 85 art will balance well on a d750 :thinking:. Front heavy but may be okay with that giant focus ring.

Last edited:
Hello der... I think the siggy is like 3 1/2 times heavier.

2016-12-08_130945_GW_0117.jpg

I would like to but I don't think the 85 art will balance well on a d750 :thinking:. Front heavy but may be okay with that giant focus ring.

Yeah, I’d love the 85mm 1.4g but it’s still over a grand. Whereas the sigma is more ‘reasonable’ in price. If I hadn’t just bought another body then I’d have a 1.4g

I've had the samyang 85, old sigma f1.4, new sigma 1.4 art, and the Nikon 1.8g

I love the art but gun to my head, I'd have the 85f1.8g all day long.

Our most used lenses on our D750's are:

Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art (Have tried every available option including the Nikon 58mm I prefer this one)
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G (Tried the Sigma 85mm Art but preferred the Nikon)
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro

I prefer to use a the 20mm and 50mm together on two bodies, my wife prefers to use the 35mm and 85mm on two bodies and we could pretty much shoot about 90% of everything we do with those.

My back up lenses

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 vc

Speciality Lenses that we rarely use

Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Nikon 45mm f/2.8 PC-E
Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6

Last edited:
Tamron 24-70 G2 looks like a good option for people on a budget. The Nikons are much more money

If you were going 85 have you considered the Tamron VC? I have heard good things about that too and the VC may come in handy if shooting in darker environments? I have been looking at the 85 1.4 Art for a while now but already have the 85 1.8g which i love. It is light and personally i have no issues with image quality, so I am tempted by the 135 1.8 instead, which I have also read very good things about.

If you dont need autofocus you might consider the Samyang 135 f2? I have one of those too and it is excellent, but the only thing about it for people is that I would prefer autofocus.

I went with the 85mm art in the end. The 135mm really got me going but it's too long for indoors my house isn't huge so I figured the 85mm will cover that.
I've also splurged out on the 24-35mm sigma art as well. And hoping that's almost as good as the 35mm. Been watching some good reviews and videos and although it's only a zoom of 11mm it looks quite handy

how come?

The art once calibrated is great BUT it's a massive chunk of glass.

The f1.8g is great value, brilliant images AND a decent size/weight (compared to the behemoth that is the 85 art!)

Is the art 500 pounds better than the f1.8g. Not on your Nellie!

The art once calibrated is great BUT it's a massive chunk of glass.

The f1.8g is great value, brilliant images AND a decent size/weight (compared to the behemoth that is the 85 art!)

Is the art 500 pounds better than the f1.8g. Not on your Nellie!
Surely the cost is subjective. Is the d750 worth 500 more than the d750? It's smaller and lighter better iso but twice the price?
If the sigma renders a nicer shot that comes at a premium.
Is a M10 worth five time's the price. It's all subjective.

Surely the cost is subjective. Is the d750 worth 500 more than the d750? It's smaller and lighter better iso but twice the price?
If the sigma renders a nicer shot that comes at a premium.
Is a M10 worth five time's the price. It's all subjective.

To be clear, I currently own the f1.4 art. I like the rendering. Dislike the size/weight.

I don't understand the first bit of your reply but I get the general message you're conveying.

Just my opinion as to which I'd choose if I was forced to - size/iq wise the 1.8g is great. I'd spend the price difference on another bit of kit or a trip somewhere to take pics.

Just my opinion!!

That said you'll enjoy the sigma. Make sure you get the dock.

To be clear, I currently own the f1.4 art. I like the rendering. Dislike the size/weight.

I don't understand the first bit of your reply but I get the general message you're conveying.

Just my opinion as to which I'd choose if I was forced to - size/iq wise the 1.8g is great. I'd spend the price difference on another bit of kit or a trip somewhere to take pics.

Just my opinion!!

That said you'll enjoy the sigma. Make sure you get the dock.
Docks been ordered. As my lenses are both sigma art so thought if they are out that will be s***

When I shot FX, I went through a tonne of lenses. I had all the usuals, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 VRII, 300mm F4, 50mm 1.4 etc ... in the end I had the Sigma 35 1.4 Art and the good ol' 85mm 1.8G, and found they covered 99.99% of what I was shooting at that time. The only lens I regretted selling was the 300mm, had the TC 1.4 for it also - I sold it because the newer model was announced, and thought I best get what i can while it's still worth something. Even if I'd kept that I was only using it for shooting birds in the garden. The Siggy 35 was attached to my old D800E most of the time, but I really enjoyed using the 85 1.8 too, it was so light and fuss-free, also sharper than most other Nikon lenses I had tried. I would say it's on of the best value lenses on the market, punches well above it's weight, literally

Let's throw this out to some public opinion and see what the masses have to say.

Currently looking at getting a nikon d750 potentially. And wondering what lenses to get

I have always loved my sigma art lenses. and not averse to trying others

Debating 85mm or 135mm sigma art
Opinions?

And maybe a smaller zoom or primes.
24-70mm Nikon
24-70mm sigma art
24-70mm tamron G2
35mm sigma art and 50mm Nikon

My budget isn't huge but want to get it right.

I'm mainly going to be taking portraits and street as and when I can get out. Shooting some bands etc.

Anyways my fellow boardees the floor is yours
Going back to the D750, I didn't think you liked your last one? Anyway, for the things that you want to shoot I would recommend primes. 35mm or 50mm seems to be preference for street but more seem to like the 35mm focal length these days. You could supplement this with the 85mm f1.8g which is a great lens. I have the Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX (Non Art) which is a cracking lens. The only gripe is the typical fast prime sigmas that you can't use the dock with in that getting MA 'right' is a bit of a compromise as it tends to need different settings between nearish and far distances to get them tack sharp. Knowing how anal you are with this you might be better off with the Nikon 85mm f1.8g as the Sigma 85mm f1.4 ART is a big wedge of money, and also a very heavy lens.

Going back to the D750, I didn't think you liked your last one? Anyway, for the things that you want to shoot I would recommend primes. 35mm or 50mm seems to be preference for street but more seem to like the 35mm focal length these days. You could supplement this with the 85mm f1.8g which is a great lens. I have the Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX (Non Art) which is a cracking lens. The only gripe is the typical fast prime sigmas that you can't use the dock with in that getting MA 'right' is a bit of a compromise as it tends to need different settings between nearish and far distances to get them tack sharp. Knowing how anal you are with this you might be better off with the Nikon 85mm f1.8g as the Sigma 85mm f1.4 ART is a big wedge of money, and also a very heavy lens.
It's like you don't read anything!!

I went with the 85mm art in the end. The 135mm really got me going but it's too long for indoors my house isn't huge so I figured the 85mm will cover that.
I've also splurged out on the 24-35mm sigma art as well. And hoping that's almost as good as the 35mm. Been watching some good reviews and videos and although it's only a zoom of 11mm it looks quite handy
I read for your first post and answered accordingly, what didn't I read?
This one!

Back