Lens Hire Question

Name
Ewan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just seen a tempting seasonal offer from a well known Lens hire business. My interest recently has been piqued by Birds and found my longest lens a bit lacking(as so so many people before me). So this may be an opportunity to try really quite spendy gear I probably am going to talk myself into buying later for a reasonable outlay. My question is should I be sensible an hire an extender to judge what my current lens is capable of, and providing I like it therein save my self a lot of money? Or go the whole hog and hire a lens that will have me hooked and therefore cost me a small fortune...

A long winded way of asking: hire relatively cheap extension to my kit, or tempt myself with a whole new avenue of expense?

ps Hope this makes sense - I've had some wine.

Extenders can be good on a good lens but can be pants on a poor lens ... if you think you could afford the best then prepare for the best.

And wine is the key to figuring out your answer

You like wine - which means you'll like more wine - so do the right thing and buy a bigger glass for your wine, you know that makes sense

Same applies to your photography requirements too - bigger glass makes you happier :D

Dave

I think it would be worth hiring so you can see how it feels to you and your way of shooting .
Rob.

Given that its Christmas and they have a very good offer on at the moment why don't you get both and then you will be able to answer the question.
BTW you don't say what you will be using the extender on or what lens you are lusting after

i dont think an extender will answer any question..

I hired a Canon 500mm F/4L II from Lenses4Hire (who are on TP) this time last year so that I could test whether it would suit my needs before spending lots of money on buying one.

Lenses4Hire @StewartR are extremely good and very helpful - I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Needless to say I bought my own. I already had a Canon 1.4x III and recently bought a 2x III. Am loving it all!

If it's the 70-200 f/4 on your profile, it'll help to a point but won't be as good as a 100-400 (in terms of reach etc) or whatever Canon lens they stock of a similar nature! Given the 3 days pay offer (which I took up on a tilt shift lens) there isn't a much better chance to try a good lens for very little outlay.

Off topic but I just checked out your Flickr page, @Stu Meech, and love your consistent capture of the atmosphere in many of your images. They are pictures rather than just photographs.

Off topic but I just checked out your Flickr page, @Stu Meech, and love your consistent capture of the atmosphere in many of your images. They are pictures rather than just photographs.

Outstanding (y)

Going to hijack this thread with another hire question, sorry. Does anyone know where I can get a sigma 105mm lens for hire near Glasgow? Ideally over this weekend.

I tried Wex-Calumet as i'd seen the offer 5 for 1 but it wasn't available.... I emailed them on Sunday, didn't hear anything, sent off an enquiry via the website, didn't hear anything within the hour, (that they advise) called the rental centre and the woman advised my request had been passed on, but that the lens was not available... asked if I had anything else in mind(said Tamron but they don't do those) but didn't offer any suggestions and didn't ask me to set up an account... is this normal? Seems like they'd want to try and get you something, or at least get an account created.

Anywho, I checked lensforhire and I couldn't see that lens.

He does produce some very impressive results ... :)

Going to hijack this thread with another hire question, sorry. Does anyone know where I can get a sigma 105mm lens for hire near Glasgow? Ideally over this weekend.

I tried Wex-Calumet as i'd seen the offer 5 for 1 but it wasn't available.... I emailed them on Sunday, didn't hear anything, sent off an enquiry via the website, didn't hear anything within the hour, (that they advise) called the rental centre and the woman advised my request had been passed on, but that the lens was not available... asked if I had anything else in mind(said Tamron but they don't do those) but didn't offer any suggestions and didn't ask me to set up an account... is this normal? Seems like they'd want to try and get you something, or at least get an account created.

Unless you particularly wanted the Sigma, perhaps with a view to buying one, the Nikon 105/2.8VR Macro is the obvious alternative. The Sigma is very good, but the Nikon perhaps a smidgin better :) Unfortunately, LFH are closed until the New Year http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/product/nikon-af-s-105mm-f2.8-g-if-ed-vr-micro

We're officially closed until Tuesday but I have to pop into the office this afternoon so I might be able to help. We don't stock the Sigma 105mm macro but we do have some Nikon 105mm macros available. Our website won't let you place an order because ti thinks we're closed. But if you email us at help [at] lensesforhire.co.uk with your details and requirements, I can set up an order for you via the back door. If you can do this by 3pm today (Friday) I'll be able to send a lens to you using RMSD for delivery by 1pm or by 9am on Saturday.

Unless you particularly wanted the Sigma, perhaps with a view to buying one, the Nikon 105/2.8VR Macro is the obvious alternative. The Sigma is very good, but the Nikon perhaps a smidgin better :) Unfortunately, LFH are closed until the New Year http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/product/nikon-af-s-105mm-f2.8-g-if-ed-vr-micro

We're officially closed until Tuesday but I have to pop into the office this afternoon so I might be able to help. We don't stock the Sigma 105mm macro but we do have some Nikon 105mm macros available. Our website won't let you place an order because ti thinks we're closed. But if you email us at help [at] lensesforhire.co.uk with your details and requirements, I can set up an order for you via the back door. If you can do this by 3pm today (Friday) I'll be able to send a lens to you using RMSD for delivery by 1pm or by 9am on Saturday.

Thanks both, I was looking to hire before buying, so the Nikon 105/2.8VR Macro is not really an alternative as it's double the price and out of my budget. I'd probably lust after it if I got the chance to use it then be a bit gutted that I couldn't own one. Thanks for the info though.

I'd probably lust after it if I got the chance to use it then be a bit gutted that I couldn't own one. Thanks for the info though.
No worries. To be fair the Sigma 105 is a very nice bit of kit, and these days Sigma's build quality seems to be better than Nikon's.

Back