Lens hood vignetting

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
Just recently, dark shadows have appeared on opposite corners of some images. Its not hands.fingers, strap etc, it happens on varying focal lengths, at portrait and landscape but not on every shot.
I can only assume its the lens hood but why would this not happen on every shot ?
Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

Canon 5d Mrk iii (6 months old ish)
L series lens 24 -105mm (or whatever that should be)

Mel

May sound like a silly question, but is it the correct hood for the lens?

Natural lens vignetting due to being shot wide open? (if not the above)

If you are using the correct hood it should not happen.

However I have noticed that the anti shake can cause such an effect on some cameras.
where the (shake group of elements) reaches an extreme displacement you may notice slight but definite corner shading.
I have not heard of this on a canon camera, but I can not see why it would be an exception.

As above. You should be using the correct hood as it comes with the lens!

If you're using a different one, that's probably the issue.

The proper hood definitely does not vignette.

I've never had the IS cause any issues either (not heard that before TBH?).

Its the hood that came with the lens. Its never happened before. Its very noticeable in some shots....will try and add an example later

You've fitted it the wrong way :)
Try turning it 90 degrees.

Am hoping its that simple and to be fair Ive not tried that. I guess if the hood is incorrectly fitted, this would have an effect of the strength of the vignette at varying focal lengths ?

Last edited:
Am hoping its that simple and to be fair Ive not tried that
Personal experience :oops: :$

It is possible on Nikon lenses, I don't know about Canon.

Personal experience :oops: :$

It is possible on Nikon lenses, I don't know about Canon.

shouldn't be possible on canon lenses. however if its not locked in and a few degrees off then i can see this causing an issue. Im guessing it is a petal type lens hood.

I had this problem frequently with my Nikon 16-35mm when I had it. When I sussed it out, it was fairly basic user error - if the lens hood wasn't fully locked on, that slight misalignment was enough for it to show as a heavy vignette. That particular hood is quite shallow and didn't (or at least mine didn't) lock on with quite the same degree of certainty as my other Nikon lenses.

I had this problem frequently with my Nikon 16-35mm when I had it. When I sussed it out, it was fairly basic user error - if the lens hood wasn't fully locked on, that slight misalignment was enough for it to show as a heavy vignette. That particular hood is quite shallow and didn't (or at least mine didn't) lock on with quite the same degree of certainty as my other Nikon lenses.
This. I've experienced exactly this with my Canon 15-85mm walkabout lens. Of course the vignetting only occurs when using the lens at its widest focal lengths.

Really? Are you sure? Not just at the wide end of the zoom?
Having looked at it again, think you maybe right, but will also check that it is locked in properly. Have been trying to recreate it !!

shouldn't be possible on canon lenses. however if its not locked in and a few degrees off then i can see this causing an issue. Im guessing it is a petal type lens hood.
Almost certainly - I've admitted this in the past.

Back