Lens hood?

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
What is the difference between a flower shaped lens hood and a round one?

The shape :LOL:

Sorry, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer too.

All I can think of is that it's to do with letting light into the lens. The flower shapes tend to be on zooms - so compromise by ensuring a good amount of light, but cutting down on any flaring from above and below. Round hoods I only have seen on prime lenses - as these are fixed a hood of the correct depth and flare can be used to optimise the light entry to the unit.

Might be a load of rubbish - but it sounds good (y)

Can anyone confirm this - or give MPhotos and myself the real answer?

Ones flower shaped and the other is round:LOL:. Sorry couldn't resist it:D:D

You'll find the petal hoods are for wider lenses. Where you need to keep the size of the hood to a minimum, so it doesn't show in the frame. So you end up with a bit more hood for the long side of the frame and less on the short side, where the view is wider. :)

If it ain't a zoom then leave the flowers for the ladies!

Like wiki says - flowers are for zooms, where some lengths can block the field of view at some lengths. No need at a fixed focal as the light entry remains consistent - unless you want to look cool :shrug:

Thanks for the help

Like wiki says - flowers are for zooms, where some lengths can block the field of view at some lengths. No need at a fixed focal as the light entry remains consistent

The thing is with wiki, is it's often wrong. ;)

A couple of examples would be the canon 70-200, which has a round hood and a siggy 24 that I used to have, which has a petal.

It really is all about the angle of view of the lens. If it's wide enough you could have a teeny little hood that would work, or one with a little more reach along the top and bottom of the frame.

Back