Lens hoods?

nikonkid

Suspended / Banned
Name
graham
Edit My Images
Yes
a quick question, is there any differences or benefits between a solid lens hood or a petal lenshood?

solid hoods can vignette at wider angles
petal hoods aren't as good at stopping flare as round ones are

depends on your lens length tbh

oh and it always goes on widest length e.g. a 27-70 has a hood that won't vignette at 24mm but won't be as good at stopping flare at 70mm

Not on a Nikon. You could use a hollowed out tree trunk and it wouldn't help.

Not on a Nikon. You could use a hollowed out tree trunk and it wouldn't help.

Tried one on my Canon and kept getting pictures of feet with no flare. so work perfect if your not Samson:LOL::LOL::LOL:

solid hoods can vignette at wider angles
petal hoods aren't as good at stopping flare as round ones are

depends on your lens length tbh

oh and it always goes on widest length e.g. a 27-70 has a hood that won't vignette at 24mm but won't be as good at stopping flare at 70mm

Not true that petal hoods are not as good - they are actually better! Unless your photos are circular.

The best hood is rectangular, exactly the same shape as the image frame. And as big as possible, so long as it doesn't protrude into the image area.

A custom petal hood is effectively a rectangular hood from the len's point of view, but is easier to store reversed on your lens. Easier to manufacture as well.

Another aspect of the focal length thing is that hoods for full frame lenses are not as efficient as they could be when used on crop fromat. They are designed not to encroach into the image area of full frame, but when used on a crop camera they could usefully be made a bit bigger. Hoods for EF-S and DX lenses are better in this respect.

I always use a lens hood. They do improve image quality in difficult light, and they are good protection. They work just like the sun visor in your car (y)

Thanks for the info Richard, that's useful to know as I use a crop camera with both EF-S and EF lenses as I'm sure many of us do (y)

JEES!!!, shows how much i have to learn, i was expecting "petals are great" or vice versa, :LOL::LOL:

Hey kid! Petals are great :)

On the learning thing, photography is not as difficult as it seems. This article covers the basics, Understanding Photography http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=99841

Don't worry about the technical stuff if you're a beginner. Just put the camera on auto and concentrate of finding the right angle and good framing for your photos. Then note what the camera is doing, and how it affect the final result. You'll soon get the hang of it and then begin to set the controls yourself.

i know, i know :LOL:, its just that you see so many lenses with hoods attached, different types i just wondered if it was for asthetics or do they serve a meaningful purpose, sorry i'm a noob.:help::LOL:

if petals are better why do tele lenses have round hoods,

not arguing intruiged as I have never really thought about it.......

if petals are better why do tele lenses have round hoods,

not arguing intruiged as I have never really thought about it.......

If the front of the lens rotates in focusing, then obviously you can't have a petal hood, eg hood for Canon 18-55 kit lens is round, but hood for 17-55 2.8 is petal.

With longer lenses, you quickly get to the point where extra length or a more efficient shape doesn't do much. In fact it just gets in the way. So just keep it as long as it needs to be for efficeint shading, and no longer. It's a convenience thing. On a 400mm lens I guess it would be possible to fit a lens hood about a foot long without it vignetting the image, but the last 6-8in wouldn't contribute anything useful.

Back