Lens hoods

Edit My Images
Yes
I only use mine if I'm outside in bright sun do you use yours all the time?

Always outside, sometimes without inside using flash

Always - it extends the length of your lens and makes it look bigger so you look more professional - bruv :D

Generally always, to stop the glare on the lens front element, as you never know which way you'll turn. There's also the added protection element.
There are of course occasions when it's not suitable to use. Poking through bars of a cage, if using a different filter system, when it's obstructive to the positioning of the camera etc.

After having a fall recently and the lens hood saved the lens and camera I will be keeping it on every time from now on

Always, stops flare which destroys contrast in images, also keeps rain and some dust off the lens, and will take some of the sting out of a drop or knock.

Never use one. I use filters most of the time and then use the filter bag to shield the sun if required.

I usually do, but went out the other day with my Canon 135mm f2 and didnt take it (its a fairly large hood and I was trying to travel light with a small camera bag). Upshot, I somehow managed to scratch the front of the lens. So will probably use them religiously going forwards for protection, but also for the reasons above re glare and contrast.

I use them nearly all the time. There's no reason not to unless you have an on-camera flash that might cast a shadow when used with some lenses.

They're there to reduce flare, and they will give protection to the front element.

I hardly ever use filters (and never 'for protection') but always use a hood unless it is impractical: reduced flare, improved contrast and some measure of keeping the front element safe.

Last edited:
I haven't in the past as I tend to be using filters. I just got a screw-in 105mm rubber one though so I will be able to use it on the front of a filter holder. Yet to see how I get on with it as I probably won't use it until I go to Iceland in October.

Nearly always, for physical protection and to prevent/reduce glare and unwanted light hitting the lens. The only major exception I can think of right now is if I'm using on camera flash for fill in (or whatever) and the hood is likely to cast a shadow.

I rarely use filters, other than a CPL occasionally.

Always !!!(y)

I hardly ever use them and I rarely find flare to be an issue. I sometimes try to include flare in an image :D but apart from that I hardly ever find it an issue and I find lens hoods add to the bulk and weight and make the gear more obtrusive.

Back