Lens or body?

Edit My Images
Yes
I know everyone immediately advises the lens gets upgraded first but this might be a bit different.

I was considering a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 to replace my 18-55mm and 50mm however it has no occurred to me that the video feature of the 500D (or 550D) would a very cool addition, however i can only really afford one or the other.

Does anyone with a 500D have any comments about the video feature and its practicality, i'd hate to find it a disappointment but i thought it would be great to capture events or places that are difficult to photograph. (eg city centers as many photos just look like a boring road)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/T1IA.HTM
Movie mode. Capturing movies with the Canon Rebel T1i is not as easy as using a camcorder. It's still really for "artist" videographers, rather than casual users. The primary reason is that the Canon T1i can't autofocus as quickly as we're used to our camcorders doing, and it won't autofocus continuously; you have to press the AE-Lock/AF-Lock button (marked with an asterisk or star) on the back to activate it. When you do, the Canon T1i's exposure will gain up a bit to let in more and less light, perhaps to help the processor find the best contrast, and the focus will move around until it locks on something. You can do this while recording, but both the exposure and focus changes will be recorded in the movie

Buy the lens

550d is the one with the video . do you need it ? it sure is a cool feature for those who use it.

500D also has video, albeit far more limited. 20fps at 1080p which is pretty useless, and 30fps at 720.

the 550D has 50/60fps at 720 I believe, and 30,25 and 24 at 1080p.

Back