lens protector uv filter? what to look out for?

Edit My Images
No
looking for a clear lens protector uv filter

what to look out for and where from?

not looking for anything fancy like polarising etc. i've read people use these to protect the lens, so looking for a 62mm one, but don't want something which will have a negative effect on the pictures

but don't want something which will have a negative effect on the pictures

That's like asking for a duck that doesn't quack.

i take it, that it will effect the picture.

so why do people use them to protect the lens?

or maybe just be ultra careful with the lens front

Your guess is a good as mine.

but don't want something which will have a negative effect on the pictures

That's like asking for a duck that doesn't quack.

Here you go! :p

duck.jpg

Fitting a UV filter in front of good glass is a bit like fitting covers on the new 3 piece suite or those cheapy Halfords covers on the new car seats. ;)

Even the very best filters will degrade image quality to some extent, and they all put a very large flat piece of glass right on the front of your lens, where it's just perfectly placed to catch flare.

If you shoot in very hostile wet or dusty environments, then you might be wise to fit a protection filter, and take the trade off in image quality. Personally, I think using one all the time is a big mistake. I haven't used protection filters for many years, but I do always fit a lens hood for protection from knocks and so far I have no disasters to report.

thanks for the updates and info.

making me think twice now. lens hood is a good idea

I had them on mine. And was pleased. Until a family wedding when all the good shots had reflections....

thanks for the updates and info.

making me think twice now. lens hood is a good idea

Well daftbugga posted his shooting scenario where it would probably be wise to use a filter. I'd just say use protection filters intelligently and don't leave them fitted when there's no real need.

The other thing is many lenses have the front element so far recessed into the lens body that a lens hood is largely unnecessary, but as soon as you fit a filter to one of these lenses, then a lens hood becomes absolutely vital in avoiding flare.

edit: crossed post with CT ;)
-------------------------------------------------

For basic physical protection, there's no substitute for taking a bit of care. And a lens hood also helps here, as well as always improving image quality.

I have some expensive UV filters that I very rarely use. It would be nice if I never needed to at all. But if there's sea spray about (really not-camera-friendly stuff :eek: ) kids with sticky fingers, dogs with inquisitive noses, or indeed rally cars chucking up gravel, I use them.

But as a permanent fixture 'just in case' - no UV filter thanks.

Richard.

again thanks. so if i re-edit my original question to what lens filter protector to use on odd occassions for the likes of sea salt etc. what's best used?

would this cheaper option:
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/acatalog/62MM.htm
not be good compared to branded hoya ones?

also like the keep caps things, do people use these, or something similar?

...what lens filter protector to use on odd occassions for the likes of sea salt etc. what's best used?

One of these:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1011137
Or one made by B+W.

In your example by the sea, where there is absolutely loads of light bouncing around everywhere, use the best filter you can get. And a hood! You're using a DSLR because they give the best image quality, so don't throw it away ;)

Those cap keeper things are nothing more than a sticky pad on a piece of string. I don't want one, but I can imagine that clumsy or absent-minded folks might :thinking:

Richard.

Possibly the following thread will help you to decide:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=74329

With respect to Stewart who did the comparison pics in the link above, that's not really a relevant test. It's a test for sharpness, which is not where a filter does its damage. The problem is flare - bright light sources either in the picture, or just outside it, flattening contrast and often producing bright spots.

If that test was re-done with a seascape on a sunny day, or maybe a line of street lights at night, the difference between with filter and without would be clearly visible for sure. And the comparison with a cheap uncoated filter would be dramatic.

I really don't understand the endless 'should I use one or not' debates when the answer is so simple. Yes, use a protection filter when there's a real chance of physical damage, and when there isn't, don't.

Richard.

Your guess is a good as mine.

Puddleduck doesn't like protective UV filters it seems.

As for the original question, keep your eye out for 2nd hand ones. For example, I picked up a Hoya 62mm Super Pro1 HMC UV Filter from puddleduck for around £12.

The Hoya Super Pro1 HMC ones are supposed to be good I believe?

Puddleduck doesn't like protective UV filters it seems.

As for the original question, keep your eye out for 2nd hand ones. For example, I picked up a Hoya 62mm Super Pro1 HMC UV Filter from puddleduck for around £12.

The Hoya Super Pro1 HMC ones are supposed to be good I believe?

thanks, think i will do just that and keep it in the bad, for times like when i might need it, like sea spray, muddy rally etc.

Back