lens question

Name
A Dragon
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been looking for a "new" lens and Ive found a few second hand on ebay. As you know there are way more options in the EF type of lens and ive seen a few that have cought my eye. However I had a thought, would a ef extender work with a ef/rf converter? so like the converter to extender to lens or rf extender to ef/rf converter to lens?
Reason for thinking this is the EF 28-350mm lens I found on ebay for £400 I figured the converter/extender combo might give me the reach im looking for in order to capture better bird pictures and still be able to take closer pics with ought having to lens swop all the time.
If idea is crap then fair enough but just wanted to put it out there to make sure.

If by extender you mean teleconverter - yes it works.

Does it work well? Depends on your patience level. Focusing is slower than the "naked" lens for sure.

100-400 is a better bet in the first place - preferably the Mk II version or the Sigma 150-600 has many happy punters

granted that the 100-400 can reach a bit further but my reason for thinking of the 28-350 is becouse it starts at 28mm. I am keeping a record of a family of swans and they regularly sit close to my feet as I feed them swan pellets, but I also photo the ducks aswell that are a bit further away, at the moment im using a 18-150. This is how close I get to the swans. Obtain I even hand feed the mom and dad and the cygnets can be close enough to almost touch from where Im sitting.

53050634570_a265f1a08f_b.jpg

53094282513_0b76119989_b.jpg

Ok - but 10:1 zooms are a massive compromise imagewise. I think you'd have to accept either not getting the nearby subjects in frame or the birds in flight being pinpricks in the sky (relatively)

For BIF: whatever you have you want more (I say this dabbling occasionally with an RF 100-500 plus a 2x TC.

Everyone wants a lens that covers 10-1000mm f/1.0 that weighs 50g, but sadly the laws of physics don't allow it.

BTW, You mentioned 28-350 - the original (1989/90) was the 35-350; the current is 28-300 - as far as I know there is no 28-350 (except by typo)

Hi,
I have the ef100-400, which I use for bird photography. I bought a 2x converter for the extra reach, but found I got better results without it and just cropping.
It could be just me, I’m still learning, but am quite interested to see what other advice you get
Atb
Karl

In the days of 30mp cameras, you can crop heavily and still have a usable image without introducing the drawbacks that a teleconverter brings to the party.

IIRC teleconverters are not recommended with the 28-300 L lens.

Back