Lens recommendation for Nikon D90 used by a young beginner and hockey sports photography

Edit My Images
No
My 11 year old lad has been point and shooting with my iPhone on the pitch side. I thought it might be good for him to have a go with my old Nikon D90. I was only a beginner myself but have hardly used the camera since the iPhone camera have been good for candid day to day without the bulk.

I have a Nikon 18-200 and 50mm f2.8.
18-200 I feel lacks quality and probably too heavier for the young lad.
50mm probably won't have enough reach from the side lines.

any recommendations welcome, when most shooting will be Auto and P, point and shoot for the young lad.

Thanks

Maybe a 70-200 zoom - of modest maximum aperture to keep the bulk & weight down, & to compensate he can up the iso to get a fast shutter speed & freeze the motion - shutter priority mode with auto iso might be good ...

thanks.

just browsing Facebook Market places near me
there's a Nikon 35-105 f3.5-4.5, looks an old unit but £60 any good?

although might be right better to have somewhere in the region of 70-200 for the reach

Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 Nikon AF Lens £75, any good?

I doubt a 70-200 is going to be any lighter than the 18-200 if you think weight is an issue. If the weight isn't an issue then given decent enough light the D90/18-200 combo can deal with action - I used mine for kitesurfing pics when I had them.

I doubt a 70-200 is going to be any lighter than the 18-200 if you think weight is an issue. If the weight isn't an issue then given decent enough light the D90/18-200 combo can deal with action - I used mine for kitesurfing pics when I had them.

I think the 18-200 Nikon lens will be too heavy for him around the neck and holding for too long

what's a cheaper 55-300 like, are these lighter?

Back