Lens recommendation - Olympus OM-D M10

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I am looking for a lens recommendation for the Olympus OM-D M10 .

This will be for my girlfriend who is a fashion blogger, so will be using it mainly as a walk around.

I have read good reviews about the Olympus 17mm 1.8, but then people are also recommending other branded lenses.

Can you please help me with some suggestions, budget up to around 400.

Thanks in advance!

It depends on what she will be shooting. If it is mainly portaits, the Olympus 45mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens and is fairly cheap and light but some people may find the focal length a bit long (90mm equivalent)

It will mainly be full body shots, some city landscapes etc - Which is why I was thinking the 45 would be too long? (x2 on 4/3'rds right?)

Would the 17MM be good, or should I be looking at a 12, 20, 25?

Thanks again.

I have the 17mm f1.8 and I think it's very good. I think all mft lenses should be built like it, the metal body and snap focus system are both nice.

You could consider the Oly 25mm f1.8. Not as wide as the 17mm but maybe a little better for slightly tighter people shots. Maybe get her two lenses, a nice prime and a compact standard 14-42mm zoom? If buying used two lenses could be in budget.

Last edited:
Not used one but the 17mm gets a lot of praise and the 35mm ff equivalent and f1.8 is a good choice for a walk around lens and for indoors use.

I have the 17mm 1.8 amongst others. It probably fits the bill in terms of a walk about lens that can be used for landscape stuff too. As Alan says, built nicely and a joy to use. Only thing to bear in mind is that despite f/1.8 aperture, you'll not be blurring many backgrounds with full length people shots but it doesn't sound like that is what you're after so no issue.

The 25mm is also really nice and probably more suited to people shots but I think a less versatile focal length that the 17mm. 45mm even less versatile but stunning results.

Are you wanting primes or are you open to zooms? You may be able to pick up a used 12-40mm f2.8 somewhere close to budget which is a great walkabout lens. Also, don't discount the 9-18mm, good for land/cityscapes but also at 36mm eq good for full length portraits.

Another option is the Olympus 14-42mm EZ. When not in use, it collapses down and if she also gets an auto lens cap (the JJC one is cheaper) then she can just power on the camera and not worry about removing/replacing the cap. As it's a zoom, it will be more versitile and the lens weighs under 100g. A bonus is that if she uses the Olympus Image Share app, she can use it to zoom in/out using the remote control.

Its not as sharp or as fast as some other lenses but for blogging/social media, it is absolutely fine.

Thanks for the replies so far.

She already has a kit lens which came with the camera, I believe a 14-42, but I don't think that the quality of this is too good.

I will be in the US in 2 weeks, so I could look at picking up a used 12-40 2.8, could I use the auto lens cap on one of these?

I still can't help but think that the 2.8 would be too heavy as a standard walk around for her, and that the 17 1.8 would be much better?

Thanks for the replies so far.

She already has a kit lens which came with the camera, I believe a 14-42, but I don't think that the quality of this is too good.

I will be in the US in 2 weeks, so I could look at picking up a used 12-40 2.8, could I use the auto lens cap on one of these?

I still can't help but think that the 2.8 would be too heavy as a standard walk around for her, and that the 17 1.8 would be much better?

The auto lens cap can only be used on the 14-42mm EZ (electonic zoom). The 12-40mm (which is a great lens) is relatively heavy and will essentially double the weight of the camera and add more bulk so probably would not suit walkabout.

If you take a look at the EXIF info for the pics that have been taken with the kit lens, you can see which focal length that the majority of pictures have been taken with and then choose a prime lens that'll fit that figure. Virtually all of the Olympus primes are great so you cannot go far wrong

The auto lens cap can only be used on the 14-42mm EZ (electonic zoom). The 12-40mm (which is a great lens) is relatively heavy and will essentially double the weight of the camera and add more bulk so probably would not suit walkabout.
All depends on perspective. for me the Em5-II and 12-40mm f2.8 was the perfect walkabout combo, far lighter than my D750 and 24-70mm f2.8 ;) On a sling strap I didn't even know it was there :)

Back