Lens recommendations for a 5dMkIII

Edit My Images
Yes
So I've recently upgraded from my 40d. I primarily take landscape shots and my most usd lens was my sigma 10-20.

With the 5D I have a 24-70 2.8, which is fine, but I'd like to go a little bit wider, mainly for astro Milky Way shots

Does anyone have any recomendations? I've seen the 16-35 2.8, which I'm tempted to go for, but the filter size and some negative reviews are putting me off slightly.

Filter wise I use the lee holder with lee filters, which is setup for 77mm (I can always buy an adapter ring, but would be concerned about vignetting, especially with ther circ polariser attached.

Are there any other lens's I should be looking at?? I'm guessing I'm wanting the holy grail, wide, fats and sharp...

I'm guessing I'm wanting the holy grail, wide, fats and sharp...

If you need/want auto focus then afraid that means EXPENSIVE too, and more than likely a prime so....

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8 L II USM

Manual focus then something from Zeiss is going to be the ultimate choice, if money a non issue, or the nice and cheap Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is often recommend .

If you want a Zoom then choices are very limited for Canon Full Frame

I can live without zoom really, I just wanted to go WIDE and Fast! And tbh MOst of my focus is done manually anyway for Landscape stuff...

As said - Canon 14mm is the bees.

I have the Samyang 14mm, which is a great lens for the money. I paid £265 new for it. It doesn't take a filter easily, the hood is fixed, but the old oversized filter and elastic bands works ok. Can be slightly soft at the edges, there is a lightroom profile which sorts the majority of the distortion issues. I quite like it as it's manual focus and aperture, so a littl ecalc of depth of field and it's great.

As a complete curve ball;

How about the Nikon 14 - 24 coupled with an adapter? There are a fair few canon shooters using the combo, and it will take lee filters via the SW150 though it should be noted this doesn't include polariser or big stopper.

More seriously why not hire a few lenses that your considering and see which one best meets your requirements, I'd also throw a 17mm TS-E lens into consideration too provided you have the time to practice with the tilt and shift functions, again Lee have an adapter so filters can fit the lens.

If you need/want auto focus then afraid that means EXPENSIVE too, and more than likely a prime so....

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8 L II USM

Manual focus then something from Zeiss is going to be the ultimate choice, if money a non issue, or the nice and cheap Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is often recommend .

If you want a Zoom then choices are very limited for Canon Full Frame

Samyang is probably better in many ways and costs a fraction. However 14mm is too wide almost for everything.

Canon just announced 16-35mm f/4L IS. I am pretty sure this is what you want.

:agree:

But don't overlook the 17-40L

It gets a raw deal because being an easy route to L glass, people stick it on a crop body and expect it to perform as a standard zoom or walk about lens.

Used properly as a wide lens on full frame for landscapes around f11 it's a no brainer.

But don't overlook the 17-40L
It gets a raw deal because being an easy route to L glass, people stick it on a crop body and expect it to perform as a standard zoom or walk about lens.
Used properly as a wide lens on full frame for landscapes around f11 it's a no brainer.

As Phil says there is nothing wrong with the 17-40mm in the f stop range normally used for landscape work. It's a lens I'll be taking a serious look at as it doesn't need to be fast.

Samyang is probably better in many ways and costs a fraction. However 14mm is too wide almost for everything.

Too wide? Nah I find it about perfect for some of my stuff. The new 10-18 looks interesting also as a filler to the 24-105.

Too wide? Nah I find it about perfect for some of my stuff. The new 10-18 looks interesting also as a filler to the 24-105.

That sounds like you are referring to crop bodies specifically. 10-18 is crop only for the start.

As Phil says there is nothing wrong with the 17-40mm in the f stop range normally used for landscape work. It's a lens I'll be taking a serious look at as it doesn't need to be fast.

I hated every click using it. It is trash under f/13 and totally useless for milky way and aurora. Rich colours and flare resistance were the only redeeming features. Thank God canon finally put their act together making a better lens.

24mm 1.4 samyang for sky with star the best for stars....
14mm 2.8 samyang for ultra wide angle cheap and good
17-40 mm f4 or 16-35mm mk2 for quick landscapes and travel shoots...

Rioters for wide angles - Colin x-pro this filter is for my medium format as well.

Guaranteed the price will be outrageous for the first few months, (at least) though..........

As anything else. Maybe we get lucky and by September it will become more sensible and maybe there will be cashback on it too.

plumped for the samyang, going to try it out tonight.... got to work out how to attach filters to it.... half thinking of creating a holder in auto cad and getting it 3d printed...

zeiss ftw

Back