Lens recommendations for my Canon 400D

Name
The King Of Prestwich
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, a newbie here so please be gentle!!! ;) I bought a Canon 400D about 4 months ago, with the standard bundled 18-55mm kit lens, which isn't the greatest by all accounts and isn't quite as versatile as I'd like it to be. Therefore, I'm after a new lens, and my wife-to-be has promised to buy me one when we go on our honeymoon as wedding present (we're stopping over in Hong Kong which I believe is cheap for camera stuff!!). I've probably got about £220, which equates to about a £300 lens in Hong Kong and have kind of decided on somewhere in the region of 18-200mm for the lens I want as I'd like more zoom capability (I accept that I will lose quality based on the focal range I'm after.

Any suggestions people??? :)

The kit lens feels cheap and looks like it should be poor but I found the one I have to perform pretty well. It could be the lens disappointing you but it could equally be you still learning to get the best from the camera (which joining here will sort out for you).

A lens with that huge zoom range will probably not out perform the kit lens over the same range - it just zooms further. (I've never had a super zoom lens so I may be wrong).

I'd suggest you go for something to compliment the kit lens - say 70 - 200 sort of range and replace the kit lens with something better another time.

Welcome to the forums.

Hi

the quality of a lens which has such a great xoom will never be as good as one with a shorter zoom although i have heard that the 18-250mm lens in meant to be quite good.

It really depends on what you want, if you want a lens for travelling then a superzoom will be ideal but if you want the best quality than a super zoom will not be.

if you have £220 and 300 in HK i would go for a sigma 18-50mm F2.8 good fast aperture and also it is nicely built.

or if you really want a superzoom look at the sigma 18-200mm OS, the os meaning optically stablized meaning reducing shake as the aperture isn't as good.

hope that helps

Mark

Back