lens recommendations

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for suggestions on lenses for my pops who has just bought a 450D. He has about 200-350.00 to spend which kinda puts things like my Canon 105 outta reach for him ....dammit!!!
Have seen the 24-70mm (looking for lenses in this sort of range) from Sigma with DG HSM etc - any thoughts on this lens its supposed to be new!! else other suggestions - needs to be equiv to like the L series if possible don't want to get him any old tosh. Not used sigmas but know that some of the folks i met at various outings have so gimme some good lenses - prices (he might get his wallet out further) and reviews of said rather than sales pitch. Thanks.

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is an excellent, moderately priced lens that provides great IQ, Fast A/F and has a constant f/2.8 aperture. Except that there is no IS, this lens is favorably compared to the great Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. Although nice to have, the IS assistance is not really needed in a lens of this focal range. I use a 17-55mm Canon but, have an older 90mm f/2.8 Tamron Macro lens which is a wonderful piece of glass. All that I have heard regarding the 17-50mm Tamron indicates that this lens is also a jewel.

I don't know the street prices in the U.K. but I looked on eBay U.K. and new Tamrons are available from Hong Kong for 219-249. There may be some import duties on these lenses. Since I live in the Ex-Colonies, I am not familiar with U.K. import regulations.

For a much less expensive solution, the original 18-55mm Kit Lens or the newer 18-55mm IS Kit Lens might satisfy your fathers needs.

The original non-IS kit lens can be had used for 20-49 pounds on eBay UK. The newer IS model (which is superior in almost all respects to the original kit lens) will run in the area of a hundred pounds or so, new from Taiwan. You could probably match this lens up with the new 55-250mm IS lens for another two hundred pounds or so. That would bring the total up to about three hundred and give your dad a really wide choice of focal lengths.

However, I am a firm believe in investing as much as you can afford in your mid-range zoom lens since you will be using it for the majority of your photography. But, it depends on your father's uses for the images. If he only prints small images and use the pictures for posting online, the Kit IS lenses might just be the ticket.

Back