Lens release button

Name
PAUL
Edit My Images
Yes
Took Mt Canon 6D off my telescope to put a 70-200 lens on but it wouldn't lock into place. The release button was stuck so I prised it off but now it won't go back on :mad:

There is a tiny spring but the button doesn't clip in, just comes back out. Is this a Canon repair job?

Can still use the camera, just have to use a tiny screwdriver on the release lever.

Thanks.
20200403_211458.jpg20200403_211440.jpg20200403_211432.jpg

I can surmise that the button was in effect "floating" and the spring held it raised against some type or form of detente stops.

By forcefully prising it off you have likely destroyed those small interference points.....that is why by simply pushing it back does not work because there is no longer anything for it to 'latch' against :(

PS yes, a repair via Canon Elstree or maybe one of the authorised repairers such as Fixation in London........but who of them might still be open???

Last edited:
Yeah thought as much thank you. Grrrr! Ah well, I'll have to give Canon a ring when life gets back to normal.

Would you say it's a costly job??

Yeah thought as much thank you. Grrrr! Ah well, I'll have to give Canon a ring when life gets back to normal.

No idea about the cost???

If I recall correctly Canon have a fixed pricing structure. Also, unless changed I thought they have an online service booking system, perhaps best to start the process and see whether you can get some indication of the costs and/or possible timeframe!

In the second image it looks like corrosion that has made it seise up ( Blue grey around the button ) may be a result of outside use with the telescope

Cost about £120 when I had mine fixed.... The problem sending stuff to canon is they fix anyhting else they find wrong and add it to the bill without asking you first... little things you could have lived with..

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like Fixation don't repair the Canon 6d only the mk 2 so looks like Canon themselves but their shut due to this virus.

Looks I got that wrong, Fixation do repair them. Found a shop in Stoke that repairs Canon's only 50 minutes from mine but just have to wait till this is all over.

Back