Lens Repair

Name
Ged
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon kit lens, 18-55mm, and today the auto focus stopped working. I switched lens to my "nifty fifty" and all was well again. I infer from this that there is a fault on the kit lens. Can such faults be repaired and, if so, what can I expect a ballplark figure for the cost to be?

Thanks,

Ged

Probably worth cleaning the contacts on the lens to see if that cures the issue, otherwise, as said, it'll probably be cheaper to replace than repair (and a good excuse for an upgrade!)

As above - try cleaning the contacts of the lens - be careful what you clean with as some cleaners can degrade plastic - acetone etc - if cleaning fails to rectify the issue it may be worth phoning fixation for a ball park figure on the repair however as also said above this could prove un economical, i've never known lens repairs start below £200 myself.

Many thanks for the replies, and their promptness! I'm going to have a go at cleaning the contacts. I am informed that isopropyl alcohol may well be a good choice of solvent. I googled it and didn't see any warnings about it's use near plastics.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Reactions: Nod
Many thanks for the replies, and their promptness! I'm going to have a go at cleaning the contacts. I am informed that isopropyl alcohol may well be a good choice of solvent. I googled it and didn't see any warnings about it's use near plastics.

I'll let you all know how I get on.
?? How’s it going ?

?? How’s it going ?
I looked at the contacts on the lens and the seemed O.K. I got some isopropyl alcohol from Amazon and cleaned the contacts anyway but it made no difference. Fortunately, Musicman mentioned the mpb website which looks really good. In the meantime I'm using the "nifty fifty".

As above - try cleaning the contacts of the lens - be careful what you clean with as some cleaners can degrade plastic - acetone etc - if cleaning fails to rectify the issue it may be worth phoning fixation for a ball park figure on the repair however as also said above this could prove un economical, i've never known lens repairs start below £200 myself.
From memory Fixation won't touch the 'prosumer' range of Canons. They'd only do L-series.

At the rate Nikon and Canon users are ditching 'F' and 'EF' lenses I think now's a good time to get a good price on an upgrade..

I asked for recommendations from members of a local Facebook photography that I'm a member of and one person very kindly gave me a Sigma 18-50mm lens that is in very good condtion. I can hardly believe that kind of generosity.

Many thanks for all the replies and advice given.

Back