Lens repairs?

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a lens which I bought a short while ago, used, but it appears to be a bit soft to my eyes. Can anyone suggest where I can get it checked out? It's a Nikon lens.

First of all I'd try to figure out if its really soft, or maybe just a mis-match of expectations?

What lens is it?

IMHO if you need a caliberation, I'd only let Nikon do this.. Fixation are good, but last I heard they couldn't do a "calibration" as this needs software they don't have. I could be wrong, but chances are if its an AF-S lens, it will need to go to Nikon UK for tuning.

Is it a prime or zoom lens? If a prime, have you tried using the lens adjustment feature in your D700?

It's a prime lens, an 85mm f1.8, which should be sharp as. I'm going to do a few more tests today as the light is a little better.

Actually, have just taken a few more and it's not as bad as I was thinking.

I never thought a lot of the 85mm wide open.

Gets good from about f/2.2 / f/2.5

Wide open its quite soft with CA..

Well, I think I've narrowed down the cause of a bit of softness. I've been shooting on the Neutral picture control lately, which has sharpening set right down by default. Bumped it up again and it's getting much closer to what I expected from this lens.

Back