Lens rubber discolouration/whitening, can it be 'cleaned'?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
When looking at a lot of used lenses (Nikon user) I see quite a number of 24-70's and 70-200's where the rubber has started to go white. Is this just 'grime' that you cna get rid off with a bit of TLC, or is it deterioration of the rubber that can't be restored? If it's the latter, is it anything to be concerned about other than the appearance?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, good to hear it's nothing to worry about (y) I actually have some of that Gummi flege stuff from when I was having window seal issues with my car ;)

Yes, sounds like a bit of oxidisation - it just happens if you don't use a lens for a few months.

I use one of those little shoe cleaning brushes with rubber bristles. BlueTac and an old toothbrush is also quite a good combo!

Last edited:
It's either oxidation or the release of plasticizer, the latter is more likely.

OK, so the ending might not be quite so happy as I'd liked. Since cleaning it with water and a cotton bud the rubber is now ever so slightly 'tacky/sticky' compared to my other lenses. It's far from bad, and not really anything to worry about but in an ideal world I'd like to get rid of it so I was wondering if there's anything that can be done about this?

OK, so the ending might not be quite so happy as I'd liked. Since cleaning it with water and a cotton bud the rubber is now ever so slightly 'tacky/sticky' compared to my other lenses. It's far from bad, and not really anything to worry about but in an ideal world I'd like to get rid of it so I was wondering if there's anything that can be done about this?

Just buy replacement rubbers I bought some for a Nikon lens a couple of years ago can't remember which one it was but I do remember it was pretty cheap and I got them direct from Nikon via there spares dept.

Just buy replacement rubbers I bought some for a Nikon lens a couple of years ago can't remember which one it was but I do remember it was pretty cheap and I got them direct from Nikon via there spares dept.
They're not bad enough to warrant that tbh, in fact they're not bad at all they're only ever so slightly tacky. Just I like my things to be 100% perfect if possible ;)

As it's a Nikon lens it will be fully waterproof ,just wash the whole thing in a bowl of hot washing up water ,you can even do the dishes at the same time :naughty::naughty:

As it's a Nikon lens it will be fully waterproof ,just wash the whole thing in a bowl of hot washing up water ,you can even do the dishes at the same time :naughty::naughty:
Now why didn't I think of that :LOL:

Back