Beginner lens serviced or buy 2nd hand

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have 2 lens that need some TLC a Cannon zoom EF 50-200mm 1:3.5-4.5 & a Sigma AF 500mm 1:7.2
The question is do I get them serviced or buy 2nd hand ( if I can find any 2nd ones) ??

these were not my lens, to start off with, but hoping to keep them if it doesn't cost too much to get them serviced

Do they have faults or do they just need a clean?
If they have faults, you could be looking at £100 or more to fix.

If you mean the Canon EFS 55-200mm, that lens can be picked up second hand for £100 or less, so it's not really worth spending any more than £50 servicing it.
If it's the old EF 50-200mm, with push-pull zoom, then it probably isn't worth it, unless it's the old L version with a red-ring.
As for the Sigma 500mm f7.2, that's quite an old lens now, so it's probably not worth servicing unless you really need a 500mm lens for wildlife photography and even then it's pretty limited with it being a fixed focal length and only f7.2, besides the AF will be a bit slow in comparison to current models. There's one on ebay right now for £110.
Sigma do have service tariffs on their website: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/service-tarrif but they don't list that lens, so you'd probably be looking at paying per hour.

Back