Lens size/spec advice

Name
David Wheat
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi -- I'm a musician, and I want to shoot performance videos indoors without setting up lights. So I'm planning on getting a used Sony a7S II camera for it's reported low light capability.

Typically, I like to get my acoustic guitar completely in the frame, and it's just over a metre in length (horizontal). To keep my set-up as compact and simple as possible, I'll be recording the audio from a mic mounted on the camera. So for best audio quality I don't want to be much more than a metre away from the camera/mic. I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me on what a size/spec lens I would need for this.

Hi and welcome to TP.
But as this is the internet, here’s the first response that doesn’t answer your question.

Light is the ‘raw ingredient’ of photography, and if you’re going to all the trouble of setting up a camera and a mic; you’ll soon realise that the other important consideration is the light falling on the instrument. It’s not just about ‘enough’ light, it needs to be the ‘right’ light.

I can’t help w the lens, cos I don’t know anything about that camera, but without doing the maths, my gut says about 16-20mm in FF terms.

I'd agree with Phil here. If you're gonna be placing the camera that close, you're going to need something pretty wide focal length wise as he says.

Alternatively you could place a wireless mic set up in the best spot acoustically to give you some more freedom with camera placement and allow you some more choices that sit under suitable lens selections.

I've also recorded a feed direct from the mixing desk and combined in post production.

A lot of the gigs I've shot I've used a 35mm 1.2 because the light gathering capabilities are super important in many venues.

I would also take into account the possible need for additional light. Some venues have wonderful, pro level lighting rigs but many don't. Better to be able to have a little bit of control over that yourself.

Thanks Phil and Adam. As it happens, I've just been looking at the old Canon EOS C100. As you guys may very well know, this shoots at 24 fps and has very good low-light performance. I was blown away by the image quality -- to my eyes, it's beautiful! And given its onboard xlrs for mics, and the reported intuitive controls, I'm now strongly gravitating to getting one. Also, given its image and ergonomic virtues, its put me in a much more positive frame of mind to the prospect of adding extra lighting if needed.

I'd agree with the above, have the mic mounted on a boom arm so its just out of frame, but closer to the guitar, this will give you much more freedom for placement of the camera.

Also, this may help with depth of focus too, as if you have a very wide aperture and are close to the guitar you will need to be very perpendicular to the line of sight otherwise either the nut end of your fretboard or your strumming /picking hand may be out of focus.

Last edited:
Back