Lens Speed ?

Name
Lloyd
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, i love reading any literature mostly from libarys etc on lens of years gone by and the modern lens of today, do you think the glass quality of today is as good of sometime ago or has it got better ? I remember seeing a lens in a shop window several years ago it was a Leica 50mm F1 and mighty expensive, was told by shop attendant that was the fastest 50mm lens made, that's what he said anyway, are there any say 35-50mm lens these days with maximum aperatures round F1 mark and would like to know what lens most people are using in the 35-50mm range ? I know the performance varies between brands and most have their favourites but for couriousity sake would like to know your favourites ? :thinking: Thanks

canon do a 50mm 1.2 ef and i think there did an ol f style 55 f1.0

the canon 50mm 1.4 is about a third - or less of the price - few people can justify the £8-900 of the 1.2.

Another vote for the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 here

I'm sure Canon used to do a 50mm f1 lens in EF fit, always used to show the cameras in the brochures with it fitted, always looked mean on an EOS1 body.

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f1.4.

ALL Pentax 50mm f1.4 lenses have the same optical design though.

i'm sure there was a canon Ef 50 F/1 L on ebay last week, starting price was £500, it had a custom lens cap too. It is discontinued now though.

i'm sure there was a canon Ef 50 F/1 L on ebay last week, starting price was £500, it had a custom lens cap too. It is discontinued now though.

The lens sold for £820 ebay Item number: 200197311639 Incase your interested

This is a very rare lens and is the fastest lens in the world. It is out of production and extremely difficult to find. I am the second owner of this lens and have used it very little in 6 years. The lens is as represented, functions perfectly, and has incredible bokeh when wide open. The glass is PERFECT, both front and back, and there are a few rub marks on the lens CAP

he he, its the size of these things that really....I dont know...they're just beautiful.
They remind me of when I bought a 50mm for my M/F Bronica, opening the package and being staggered by the size and general gorgeousnessness of it.
I post a pic of a nikon 50 1.8, a Bronica 75 2.8 and the Bronica 50 mounted on the body to compare, the 50 is only an f3.5 aswell:LOL:

675ky9.jpg

This is the Canon 50 f/1

598px-Canon_7_with_50mm_f0.95_IMG_0374.JPG

and Nikons 50 f/1.1

200409-07.jpg

one of these sold on ebay recently for 3000 euros
bonkers:bonk:

If we're talking f-a-s-t lenses, has everyone forgotten about the old Canon 50mm f/0.95?

I have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and I love it. Compact, light, fast, sharp. I also "have" (courtesy of www.LensesForHire.co.uk) the Canon 50mm f/1.2. Personally I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on the f/1.2, given how good the f/1.4 is - but it is an awesome lens and very seductive. I can see how people who have used it fall in love with it. (The same is true for the 85mm f/1.2, even more so!)

ahhhh, that brony is just gorgeous. :love::love::love:

My SQb would have loved to have been one of those when it grew up. :)

Thanks Guys for all that info, i havn't yet been able to get out and use my new K10D except for playing around my home, but my 50mm F1.2 fully manual no apt priority which i purchased some 10 or so yrs ago for Aus $250 from original owner and in mint cond works and find on this body, not bad for a lens 30 or more yrs old so hope to be able to get some pics soon. I saw one on Ebay wk ago selling for UK $345, i do use it on my film base SLR, still can't seem to give film away totally and nor do i want to, i can have the best of both worlds eh. I would still love to own a Leica some day :woot: Thanks again for your input... (y)

Back