Lens straps

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone used one of these?

1506533837000_1363563.jpg

It's a peak design anchor mount.

I'd like to fit it to the tripod mount of a 300mm 2.8 L mk2 and use the canon supplied strap to carry both lens and camera.
The spec says it's good to 90kg but the tiny thread does not look up to the job.

Not used one of those but I have used the Black Rapid version for years.

Got both the FR5 and the FR-T1. Both look decent metal but wouldn’t want to hang off one to test the 90Kg limit [emoji23]

Not used one of those but I have used the Black Rapid version for years.

Got both the FR5 and the FR-T1. Both look decent metal but wouldn’t want to hang off one to test the 90Kg limit [emoji23]
This is actually a case of closing the door after the horse has gone as I bought one over the weekend.
Just not brave enough to try it yet.

The most important part is what you use to fasten the anchor to the strap and the strap itself. The anchor should certainly be strong enough.

@Mr Perceptive might have a better idea of it than me.
Let me know how that works out if you try.
The most important part is what you use to fasten the anchor to the strap and the strap itself. The anchor should certainly be strong enough.

Not used the baseplate, only the eyelet mounts, here are some hopefully useful pictures of how to install them and not have them rattling!! First X-T20 using Fuji triangle strap clips and Fuji protector

1i7yz6Sh.jpg

CqVklC5h.jpg

3YRZ8WRh.jpg

And now a neater solution using round rings and protective pads from 1901 fotografi

Xi90fBWh.jpg

tbZJPeDh.jpg

I'll let you work out the strap origami, took me about an hour to suss it, and then doing the rest was easy!!!

I put a copy of this post in X-T thread as well

OK. Tried the Peak design plate with the canon supplied lens strap.
Works like a charm.
Result.

Anyone used one of these?

1506533837000_1363563.jpg

It's a peak design anchor mount.

I'd like to fit it to the tripod mount of a 300mm 2.8 L mk2 and use the canon supplied strap to carry both lens and camera.
The spec says it's good to 90kg but the tiny thread does not look up to the job.
OK. Tried the Peak design plate with the canon supplied lens strap.
Works like a charm.
Result.

So the above WILL take the weight ?

The proof load minimum limit for a 1/4-20 grade 2 bolt is 1750lb/794kg. And the shear strength of aircraft grade aluminum is over 30,000psi/207MPa. It will hold more than you can...

Personally, I use a strap attached to an arca swiss clamp... it's quick and easy to attach/remove.

The proof load minimum limit for a 1/4-20 grade 2 bolt is 1750lb/794kg. And the shear strength of aircraft grade aluminum is over 30,000psi/207MPa. It will hold more than you can...

Personally, I use a strap attached to an arca swiss clamp... it's quick and easy to attach/remove.

Thank you Steven, just what I needed to hear.

Nor sure if this has been mentioned but the anchor mount might hold the stated weight but will the camera tripod socket? They are primarily designed to affix a vaguely balanced lump onto a tripod and strap makers have capitalised on that as a fixing point for their product? Its assumed that the camera sockets are in someway hard fixed to the metal camera body but are they actually?

Nor sure if this has been mentioned but the anchor mount might hold the stated weight but will the camera tripod socket? They are primarily designed to affix a vaguely balanced lump onto a tripod and strap makers have capitalised on that as a fixing point for their product? Its assumed that the camera sockets are in someway hard fixed to the metal camera body but are they actually?

Once mine does go on the tripod foot, I will still have a hold of the camera just to make sure.

sorry to jump in, but I've recently got a Nikon 200-500 and really struggling to find a way to attach a strap with ease, i use the BR strap with a screw mount on my body with 70-200, but the 200-500 is so much heavier that i don't trust it/also a bit of hassle.

What/how is best to deal with this issue?

sorry to jump in, but I've recently got a Nikon 200-500 and really struggling to find a way to attach a strap with ease, i use the BR strap with a screw mount on my body with 70-200, but the 200-500 is so much heavier that i don't trust it/also a bit of hassle.

What/how is best to deal with this issue?
Well I have a 1dx2 and 300mm 2.8 which weighs quite a lot
I have fitted the mount shown at the start of thread to the lens tripod mount.
I have rotated the tripod mount so the foot is facing upwards and attached the canon supplied lens shoulder strap.

It works very well and is much more comfortable than using the neck strap and lens strap as per canon.
It balances brilliantly when used as a shoulder strap and given the lens mount is a solid aluminium ring with a die cast foot held on with stainless steel screws, I'm confident it can take the load.

Well I have a 1dx2 and 300mm 2.8 which weighs quite a lot
I have fitted the mount shown at the start of thread to the lens tripod mount.
I have rotated the tripod mount so the foot is facing upwards and attached the canon supplied lens shoulder strap.

It works very well and is much more comfortable than using the neck strap and lens strap as per canon.
It balances brilliantly when used as a shoulder strap and given the lens mount is a solid aluminium ring with a die cast foot held on with stainless steel screws, I'm confident it can take the load.

To help others, it might be a good idea to have photos in here to show how we do it as I will once it goes on my XF50-140mm.

To help others, it might be a good idea to have photos in here to show how we do it as I will once it goes on my XF50-140mm.
Makes me wish I had a second camera to do that with.

This is the strap that came with the lens.
It feeds through the slots either side of the anchor.

Just checked the weight of your Canon lens, WOW that is heavy.
That is a downside.
Whilst carrying it is not too bad, holding it to my eye for more than a few minutes becomes uncomfortable.

In this case we are talking about attaching it to the lens foot and not the camera body... that's always the best idea when a lens is equipped with a tripod collar/foot.

On every camera I've ever seen the guts of, the camera body socket is well designed to take a rather large load... on some it's a direct mechanical connection to the magnesium body. On others it's part of a large metal plate internal to the body.
The real issue IME is that a large/heavy lens puts a lot of strain on the lens mount, which is a much less robust connection (typically uses 4 tiny screws)... it's better to let the relatively lightweight body hang from the mount.

I use a black rapid into the lens foot of my sony 300 2.8 and 500 f4 with a safety tether to the strap webbing either back to the lens foot or camera strap anchor point. I have the peak design anchor you mention but I am not sure I would use it as you mention mainly because the threads seem very short imo

I use a black rapid into the lens foot of my sony 300 2.8 and 500 f4 with a safety tether to the strap webbing either back to the lens foot or camera strap anchor point. I have the peak design anchor you mention but I am not sure I would use it as you mention mainly because the threads seem very short imo
I too initially thought the thread looked short.
Upon fitment, the square of plastic below the anchor compresses somewhat giving a greater thread engagement.

As of now I'm confident the arrangement is secure.
I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Had a D750 and sigma 70 - 200 hanging over my shoulder off one of these for about 2 years no problem so far

I use a Arca Swiss plate on all my larger lenses. 400mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8, 80-400mm, 70-200mm & when I have a lens attached without a 'foot' then I attach the strap to a plate on the body - the plate is always attached.
Have never bothered with safety tethers.
It just works.
Black Rapid strap with Arca Swiss Clamp.

You get used to checking the clamp.

FYI
You WANT the plates that have the bolts that are slightly proud - NOT ALL clamps & plates are the same.. This stops the clamp from coming off.

Last edited:
I have to say it would be nice to have had a locking device on the screw as I feel it may rotate under certain circumstances.
So yes, I'll be checking it regularly.

I use a Arca Swiss plate on all my larger lenses. 400mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8, 80-400mm, 70-200mm & when I have a lens attached without a 'foot' then I attach the strap to a plate on the body - the plate is always attached.
Have never bothered with safety tethers.
It just works.
Black Rapid strap with Arca Swiss Clamp.

You get used to checking the clamp.

FYI
You WANT the plates that have the bolts that are slightly proud - NOT ALL AS clamps & plates are the same.. This stops the clamp from coming off.
for the long lenses I have the Nikon LN-2 on the lens loop brackets.

I have the peak design anchor you mention but I am not sure I would use it as you mention mainly because the threads seem very short imo
The thing is plenty strong to hold anything you might reasonably attach it to.
The first thread provides over 1/3 of the strength, and three threads provide ~75%... so a 1/4-20 grade 2 bolt w/ three good threads engaged provides 595kg of proof load capacity. The biggest concern would be the bolt backing out and not having enough threads remaining in contact.

Back