Lens suggestion for a D40 user

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens and am trying to decide what to go for next. I am getting back into photography after a lengthy break and am interested in pretty much everything, landscapes, portraits, nature, macro, abstract etc etc.

Ideally I think I would like the Nikkon 18-200mm AF-S VR as I reckon that would cover about 95% of all the shots I ever want to take. The only downside is it really isnt cheap as I don't have much cash to spare at the mo and the Mrs really isnt happy with me spending £450 on a lens.

The other choices, as far as I can see, really boil down to:

Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S - £139
Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC HSM - £145
Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6 AF-S VR DX - £199
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR IF - £330

I must admit - the thought of VR really appeals to me, especially as most of my photography trips involve going out with my wife and 3 year old daughter places so don't really get much of a chance to carry a tripod.

Anyone got any opinion on the quality of the above lenses and what my best option would be? As said, ideally I would just get the 18-200 and then maybe in the future pick up a 10-20, but not sure I can find the money at the mo.

Cheers for any input.

hi i have the D40x and was in the same predicament as you a few weeks ago. I wanted a fairly decent zoom length and was seriously considering the 18-200mm VR lens. it was too expensive for me to seriously consider buying it, so i went for the 18-135mm lens. its not in the same league as the 18-200 VR lens, but its got enough reach for me at the moment, and as i managed to get it for £195 with a UV filter thrown in, it was the most viable option. good luck with your decision

Only thing with that is there is quite a lot of overlap. Hadn't given it much thought I must admit, might add that to the list!

Just asked a 'tog friend what he thought, to which he responded none of em, the max apeture isnt wide enough, I should get the 70-200mm f/2.8G AF VR :thinking: Right, ok, thats only £1150 - bargain, you can explain that to my wife then yeah?

I have the 70-300mm VR and its a great lens, nice and light, sharp, suffers from almost zero chromatic aperation. I would recommend it, also heard good things about the 55-200mm VR but haven't used one myself so cannot comment.

All togs want the 70-200 f2.8 VR and all other lenses are a compromise for price. However, when it comes to actually spending ones own money you have to ask to you really need it especially if photography is a hobby rather than an income source.

Out of the lenses you've listed I would either go for the 55-200 VR or the 70-300 VR as the VR is a killer feature and worth the extra coinage.

If I had to pick one I would swing towards the 70-300 VR as it is suitable for full frame for when Nikon release a consumer Full Frame body (few years away yet but still worth considering) but more importantly it has that longer reach. OK you'll have a gap between 55 and 70mm but I don't think you'll notice it.

Incidentally, I do have a 70-300 VR and am very happy with it, have some stunny shots of Red Squirrels at Formby point I taken with it, true I wish I had the 70-200 f2.8 VR but I doubt there are many times I would need the 2 stops from f5.6 to f2.8 just for the Depth of Field or becasue of such poor light that even high ISO and noise ninja can't rescue me, and I've kept the £800 difference for other things.

Cheers Rikki - at that price it definately puts the 55-200mm VR at the top of the list for now. The 300 is tempting for the extra reach, but if I can get away with only spending £150 for now my better half is much more likely to go for it.

what does each bit mean:
Nikon AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S G VR DX ?

what does each bit mean:
Nikon AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S G VR DX ?

nikon = the maker :D

af= auto focus

55-200 =focal length

f/4-5.6 =the maximum apature at focal length

4.5@55 mm 5.6@ 200 mm

AF-S = there is a focus motor in lens body

G = cant remember:bonk:

VR = vibration reduction

DX = digital only

thanks, got myself one of those, just need to learn how to use it

Back