Lens Thoughts - indoor sports

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

After some thoughts/views/opinions on a choice of lens.

My son has started playing basketball for a local club. I have been taking pictures for them but think I need another lens (any excuse ). I am shooting a Nikons D7500 and have been using a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 as the light is pretty bad in these sports halls. However, just about all my shots are at 70mm and TBH, I could have done with being lower than that as the sports halls don’t generally have a lot of space around the edges and I am mainly shooting their attacking basket.

So, I was considering the 28-70 f2.8 Nikon, then had a look at a few reviews and saw Sigma have the same set up. Went to Harrisons (luckily my local shop) and they also suggested considering the Sigma 24-105 f4.

Just wondered if anyone has any experiences they would be willing to share with similar set ups for similar (basically, indoor, poorly lit) sports?

TIA

EDIT - if anyone has any other suggestions on a suitable lens, happy to listen!
EDIT 2 (as I keep thinking of things) - if I went with the 24-105, would that be an adequate replacement to the kit 18-140? I know I lose some from both ends, but gain on the f4?

Last edited:
Depends on where your sitting.. I use 70-200 mostly but yeagh 24-70 (canon) now and then...

Another option to throw into the mix (if f/4 is wide enough) would be the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 (NOT the older variable aperture version.)

As for your 2nd edit, how many of your shots with your kit lens have used wider than 24mm? If it's more than a very few, I'd either stick with the kit lens or get a UWA zoom to supplement the 24-???.

Depends on where your sitting.. I use 70-200 mostly but yeagh 24-70 (canon) now and then...

Mainly under/around my son's attacking end, not going so much for their defensive plays - so quite close to the action. Been using the 70-200 and out of a 200-300 shots so far, almost all were at 70mm....

Definitely wouldn’t go slower than F2.8

that was my original thought as was using the 70-200 f2.8 and speed-wise, that seemed to work. was just the suggestion of someone else (and a few reviews online that threw me.

Another option to throw into the mix (if f/4 is wide enough) would be the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 (NOT the older variable aperture version.)

As for your 2nd edit, how many of your shots with your kit lens have used wider than 24mm? If it's more than a very few, I'd either stick with the kit lens or get a UWA zoom to supplement the 24-???.

Got a UWA already as was trying some different stuff a while back (but don't use it enough in fairness). The train of thought was would using the f4 instead of the kit lens help in terms of justifying it - but think I really need a 2.8.

the next choice would be Nikon or Sigma... Got a mix of Sigma and Nikon lenses in the kit bag, just no idea for these 2 lenses. Some of the reviews seem to indicate that the Sigma is softer at 2.8 (which is where I think I will mainly be).

thanks for the replies though, appreciated!

I would tend to agree with Trevor in that f/2.8 would be better than f/4, especially with a Dx body (Fx are probably still better than Dx at higher ISOs).

For your intended use, VR won't be that helpful so an older 24-70 would fit the bill IMO (interested to hear Kipax's opinion on VR for indoor sports.)

I would tend to agree with Trevor in that f/2.8 would be better than f/4, especially with a Dx body (Fx are probably still better than Dx at higher ISOs).

For your intended use, VR won't be that helpful so an older 24-70 would fit the bill IMO (interested to hear Kipax's opinion on VR for indoor sports.)

Not at all to be honest... Basketball is fast and VR will slow the acquisition of the subject.. It probably less than a second slowdown but boy does that count :)

Reactions: Nod
So turn VR off (if that is an option) then? Thanks for the useful info all, this helps a lot!
Just buy the non VR Nikon 24-70 used. They’re a bargain. Often found on the classifieds here at around £500

Back