Lens Upgrade Advice Please

Name
Baden
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok been taking photography seriously now for about erm....... 6 weeks :LOL:

I have already come to the conclusion my lenes are Sh.. well let say not L class!

After much reading and searching this forum seems a good all round walkabout lens for the 350D I have to suit my budget, would be either of these:

Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8

My budget is about £200 atm so I will be looking to buy second hand, so
has anyone any experience with one or both these lenes and what should i opt for?

Here are my current lenes:

Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 18-55mm non IS
Canon 28-90mm
Tamron 70-300mm

I am a total novice tbh and I am happy with the 350D so dont want to upgrade just yet as I am still coming to terms with using my first DSLR, so new glass is the way forward :clap:

Any other suggestions welcome to confuse me more :)

Hi my first question would be what do you want to shoot? That will determine which way to go, I'm not a canon shooter but from what I've read the 50mm 1.8 is a cracking little lens and you should get some good shots with that. The tamron 17-50 2.8 which I have in Sony fit is superb for the money IMO but I would practise with what you've got before jumping in and spending a fortune

Last edited:
Yes agree about the 50mm is a great lens when i meant my lenes are pants i was referring to the kit lens and the 28-90mm.
As being new atm I am shoot happy and loving all aspects of photography, I was looking for a lens to compliment the 50mm 1.8 as I struggle sometimes to fit all the image I want into frame at 50mm.
Thanks for the comments and I hear you loud and clear about practice with what I got, just getting frustrated.

Some years ago I hade a Canon 350D and a Tamron 17-50. I found the lens very sharp, fast focusing. I would recommend the lens.

I have the Tamron but used with Nikon camera and very happy with it. Non-VC one was just over £200 on ebay. Great upgrade for the price IMO.

If you're not happy with the 18-55 or the 28-90 then it's a good size to replace the two of them given you have a 70-300 zoom already. You'd be missing 51-69mm but is that likely to be an issue for you? I get on fine with similar lens setup (17-50 and a 70-300 zoom).

A very cheap upgrade would be to replace the kit lens with the IS version of the same lens, if you look at any of the reviews it is fairly well regarded and can be bought s/h for about £60

Another vote for the tamron 17-50 non VC, i use one at the momment on my 40d and its very sharp, these go for around the £200 mark and you carnt go wrong at this price.

Andy

I have the Sigma 17-70 and it's a cracker. It has also had a 92% review in What Digital Camera magazine. The Tamron is also supposed to be a good lens but having used the Sigma I can say you will not be disappointed.

Andy

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4.5 for the non os lens nice and sharp, and can be had for under £200 SH, like what i paid. :). the tammy has good reviews as well, and has constant f2.8, but not quite the reach, so either would be a great upgrade. My vote is for the siggy though.

Thank you so much for the advice (y)

Looks like its an even bet on either atm, I am leaning more to the Sigma, as matty pointed out with the tamron i be missing 51-69mm, but with the siggy I wont.

Once again thank you

Back