Lens Upgrade

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

im looking to upgrade my car shows/walk about lens.

I currently have a 10-20mm sigma lens, 18-50mm f2.8 and a 70-200m F4. I barely use the 10-20mm sigma lens so I am tempted to sell it.

As I am on a crop body I don't think it would be much use getting a 24-70mm L lens.

Does anyone recommend/use the 16-35mm F2.8 or F4 for car shows? As it is just a hobby I would need to consider is it really worth the extra cash from the F2.8 to F4. Im just concerned I may miss it as my current lens I use for car shows is the sigma 18-50mm f2.8.

Thanks

I'd say get the 16-35mm f/4 L IS lens - phenomenally sharp, easy to hand hold in low light with the IS. Not sure the extra to get the latest f/2.8 III is worth it & the f/2.8 II is inferior to the f/4 in sharpness - only would make sense if you really needed f/2.8 for depth of field or action stopping.

I'd say get the 16-35mm f/4 L IS lens - phenomenally sharp, easy to hand hold in low light with the IS. Not sure the extra to get the latest f/2.8 III is worth it & the f/2.8 II is inferior to the f/4 in sharpness - only would make sense if you really needed f/2.8 for depth of field or action stopping.

But isn't that a FF lens?

It won't fit on a crop body.

But isn't that a FF lens?

It won't fit on a crop body.

You've got it the round way round - FF works on a crop, but not the other way round.

You need more sensor coverage for FF than crop, so if you could put a crop lens on FF you'd get very heavy vignetting, but FF on a crop works perfectly. (I've used it on a crop body - no problem, although I usually use FF)

I think we need to understand what you're trying to achieve here. You say you don't use the 10-20 you have now but are looking at replacing the lens you do use with something a little bit wider but with a shorter focal range and either the same max. aperture or actually slower. And to cap it off, both those options will be much bigger than your 18-50 2.8. They might be a bit sharper but since they're geared up for full frame cameras, you'd be wasting a lot of the image area but carrying all the bulk.

If it's just about getting a higher quality standard fast zoom for a crop body, I'd take a look at the Sigma 18-35 1.8 or the Canon 17-55 2.8. Both are quite big but then so are the 16-35 options.

I think we need to understand what you're trying to achieve here. You say you don't use the 10-20 you have now but are looking at replacing the lens you do use with something a little bit wider but with a shorter focal range and either the same max. aperture or actually slower. And to cap it off, both those options will be much bigger than your 18-50 2.8. They might be a bit sharper but since they're geared up for full frame cameras, you'd be wasting a lot of the image area but carrying all the bulk.

If it's just about getting a higher quality standard fast zoom for a crop body, I'd take a look at the Sigma 18-35 1.8 or the Canon 17-55 2.8. Both are quite big but then so are the 16-35 options.

Good point - I homed in on the 16-35 part of the question! The 17-55 is super sharp but I personally get annoyed with its dust-gathering capabilities - I once bought one brand new and within a few minutes of use the inside of the front element was pretty dusty - I know a little dust is irrelevant but having several pieces within a few minutes was concerning enough to me to return it immediately.

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is decent - not as sharp as the Canon 17-55, but great value and a good upgrade from a kit lens.

16-35 f/4 L IS would be a smart choice if the OP planned to go full frame in the future.

16-35 f/4 L IS would be a smart choice if the OP planned to go full frame in the future.

Indeed, it will be a good performer on all systems but will remain a little less useful on crop in practical terms. I mean would you not just use 18-50 f/2.8 instead? Unless that is of course not great for another reason.

You might as well just get any of the older 5D models or an old 1Ds II / III (preferably) and go all the way then.

I've used 24-70mm back in my crop days and it was still extremely useful particularly when the wider angles are already covered by another lens.

What's wrong with the Sigma 18-50mm is what you need to answer ;)

Distractions & distortions bug the hell out of me at car show/meets so I just shoot [for myself] at 85/1.8 or 40/1.4 usually on FF.

Hi guys,

im looking to upgrade my car shows/walk about lens.

I currently have a 10-20mm sigma lens, 18-50mm f2.8 and a 70-200m F4. I barely use the 10-20mm sigma lens so I am tempted to sell it.

As I am on a crop body I don't think it would be much use getting a 24-70mm L lens.

Does anyone recommend/use the 16-35mm F2.8 or F4 for car shows? As it is just a hobby I would need to consider is it really worth the extra cash from the F2.8 to F4. Im just concerned I may miss it as my current lens I use for car shows is the sigma 18-50mm f2.8.

Thanks

What do you want from a new lens that the current lenses don't give you?

What do you want from a new lens that the current lenses don't give you?
^ I think this is a key question.

I had exactly the same kit you do: 60D with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and the 10-20mm.
I found I hardly used the 10-20mm at all. It's useful for the odd photo, but unless you're a real fan of wide angles then it doesn't get used as much.
The Sigma 18-50mm is a great lens, I loved mine, but given you are on a crop sensor, it's really not worth it for a hobbyist to spend £900 (or £700 sh) on the 16-35 f4 L. It's not got as much reach as the 18-50 and only going to f4 will be limiting in low light. Despite what people say about having image stabilisation, that only helps combat camera shake at slower shutter speeds (likely more of a problem with a heavier lens like the 16-35L) it won't help keep your shutter speed up to freeze motion, which being able to go to f2.8 will do.
If you really think the 18-50 is lacking, for example in sharpness, you could upgrade the 18-50 to the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, which will be a very slightly wider, slightly longer and have IS too and likely a bit sharper too.
If you don't use the 10-20, sell that to help fund this upgrade.

Back