Lens upgrade

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Just purchased Nikon d7500. Have a Sigma 17-70 1:2.8-4 DC C which I used on my d5200.

Lens works well but was wondering if it was worth upgrading and if so, what to please.

Have seen some AFS 24-70 mm second hand from £325 to £625. Also a Tamron f2.8 VC G2.

Comments and advice please.

The 24-70mm means you'll lose the wider end from 17-24mm so the first thing to check is that you're happy to be losing that. 24mm isn't particularly wide on APS-C and you won't be gaining anything at the longer end either so all in all in your place I don't think I'd be looking at that 24-70mm FF lens.

I don't know what other lenses you have but a wide aperture prime, a f1.8 if you don't have one, would be higher on my list than a shorter range zoom than the one you already have.

Last edited:
I have a wide angle to cover the bottom end, and a 50mm 1.8 prime. Cheers for the advice on the 24-70mm. What would u recommend lens wise please

I have a wide angle to cover the bottom end, and a 50mm 1.8 prime. Cheers for the advice on the 24-70mm. What would u recommend lens wise please

I'm not really a zoom person but I see an advantage in having a constant aperture so I'd probably look at a 17-50mm f2.8 but you'd lose the longer end of the 17-70mm. A loooong time ago I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for my canon DSLR and it was cheap at the time but it convinced me that a lens can be too sharp for pictures of your GF :D I don't know if they're available in your mount but if they are available I'd look at a used one.

If it works well, I would stick with it.

If you aren't finding any restrictions from the lens there's little point upgrading. The main things to think about with lenses are do you need to get more light in, or is it the right focal length (is your subject too big/small in the frame).

Back