Beginner lens VR setting

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got the Nikon 28-300mm lens and it's got a switch under VR for normal or active. Mine had been set on active. Can anyone explain how to choose the correct setting please?

I think it's to do with prioritising vertical over horizontal stabilisation. So if, say, you were photographing race cars and panning horizontally it doesn't try to stabilise as, well, it just won't be able to, so it just does it vertically (mostly). I may be wrong but that's what I gather.

Normal mode
This mode on VR lenses reduces camera shake. The lens will automatically detect if you pan the camera horizontally and only vibration in the vertical axis is reduced.

Active mode
This mode should be used when taking images from a moving vehicle or vessel. The frequency of camera shake experienced during handheld shooting is different from that encountered when trying to shoot from a moving vehicle or vessel. The VR active function is designed to be able to compensate for severe vibrations encountered when you're in a car, boat, on a train or airplane, and even aboard a helicopter. The active mode does not automatically distinguish panning from camera shake unlike normal mode. If you wish to pan it is recommended you use normal mode.

SOURCE

I think it's to do with prioritising vertical over horizontal stabilisation. So if, say, you were photographing race cars and panning horizontally it doesn't try to stabilise as, well, it just won't be able to, so it just does it vertically (mostly). I may be wrong but that's what I gather.
Thankyou.

Seems I was wrong but in my defence I only looked at the book briefly as I don't usually do any action work, so active VR has never been used by me, but I was on the right track, just going to wrong way :)

Seems to me from looking at the above webpage that the occasions for using active VR are quite rare in that basically if YOU are moving then use it but at all other times just don't bother with it.

Last edited:
Back