Lens - worth getting?

Edit My Images
No
HI guys,
I've got a nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lens. Is it worth me getting a 35mm f1.8 lens to supplement this or am I just wasting my money?
Thanks

Not at all. A 'normal' focal length prime offers up many possibilities that you won't get with your zoom. Small aperture/depth of field photography, better performance in low light. I've got a few primes now and really enjoy using them.

ok i was thinking of picking one up in the next hour or so but was thinking if there were many benefits to it compared to 18-105 lens photography at 35mm. price wise 35mm is about £150 and photos I've seen on flickr etc seem quite sharp with the 35mm f1.8 lens.

The 35/1.8 is a pretty sharp lens and a good focal length for most general use. The f1.8 is dead handy too. It's light and exceptional value for money. It's all i use on my D3100 now!

Well, stick your zoom lens @ 35mm and walk around with it. That's the focal length you'll get. Always. However, fun, for me, begins at ~f/2.8. A prime lens will be sharper than a standard non-pro zoom and there's much much fun to be had with a small depth of field.

I don't know about the Nikon 35mm as I'm Canon, but I believe it's a well regarded lens.

i've tried my zoom at 35mm but only get about f4ish with that, which is ok but was thinking about the 35mm f1.8 for something different

I've got the 35mm 1.8 lens. It's a great lens. When I was looking for a prime you got the think it's true focal length. Dx lens has a crop of 1.5 which is about 50mm with the 35mm lens and 75mm if you have the 50mm.

The 35 f1.8 is the best value lens on the market.

I have a canon system, and just added a 35 f/2. It's fantastically small, sharp and great in low light.

Back